Pinion nut loose AGAIN!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Vibration found. :mad:
This is a frustrating PITA!
Last year locating driveline vibrations the pinion nut was found loose.
A new crush collar sleeve was installed and the nut retorqued to 160 ft/lbs.
Not an easy task for the weaklings to achieve under the truck.
When the new driveshaft was installed I rechecked the pinion nut torque and it was good.

Now tonight combing over all of the driveline, it was found loose again. -cuss

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem. :confused:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Within the last few days, I changed the pinion seal on my 85 F350. When I removed the driveshaft, I noticed that the pinion nut was loose and there was play in the flange.

What I found once I removed the flange was that the splines on the flange and pinion were worn badly. I presume that the worn splines allowed movement, which worked the nut loose.

I changed the seal and put things together with blue lock-tite on the threads. If it works loose again, I will locktite the splines also.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have had that problem. I have had a heck of a time with the rear end of my 2001 F150. Everything from blown seals to loose pinion nuts. Not really sure why it does it though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... If the splines are worn what will happen is everytime your drive forward or backwards the slop will work the nut both ways. Even just dirving down the road the on and off on the throttle may loosen the nut too...

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Note to self: check pinion in the morning.

Has anybody tried replacing the nut?

When I do diff work I take the old nut and cut the locking portion off on a lathe. Use that for setup and put the new nut on at final assembly.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A pinion nut should never be used again once taken off. Get a new nut and LockTite it, if splines show ware it also need to be replaced as the vibration can and will cause metal fatigue and break. Been There, Done that, got Tee Shirt to prove it.

Jim

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky is right, the nuts are not supposed to be re-used. They are staked nuts and are on-time use only. But so is my wrecker, so I locktited the ******.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
is there any slack in the yoke to the splines, had this problem before, so has ford, waranted damn near a press fit on the later years.
sounds like the yoke is wore.IMHOP
Nick

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is any play in the yoke splines, most likely given the history, new yoke and crush collar and if they are still loose get a spline tightning sleeve(I guess they still make them). Loose splines will cause the yoke to cut a groove in the washer leaving the bearing slightly loose and drastically shortning the life of the bearings and other components. The yoke will still feel tite. The 160 pounds of torque on the nut is no match for the torque of the drive shaft.

suv7734

Reaction score
Since the pinion bearings use a crush sleeve there is not a specific torque rating for the pinion nut. The correct torque is once the pinion bearing has a specific pre-load on it. If the 160 ft-lbs was not enough pre-load that may explain why it worked loose. The correct procedure is to tighten the pinion nut on the cruch sleeve untill the slightest resistance is felt in trying to rotate the pinion. Once you are there tighten the pinion nut in small increments until the correct pre-load is achieved. In this cas (Sterling 10.25") it should be 16-29 in-lb for new bearings and 8-14 in-lbs for used bearings. Be careful those are IN-LBS. If this is not clear here is a write up I found:

"Crush Sleeve Design: If you are unsure about getting the correct pinion depth, it may be easier to install the pinion without a crush sleeve until the correct pinion depth has been established. Always use a new crush sleeve for final assembly. Slide the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft (unless you are using the trial and error method) and install the pinion through the rear of the housing. The yoke usually must be tapped on while applying pressure on the pinion gear head to hold it in place. Use an impact wrench or huge breaker bar to apply the torque necessary to crush the sleeve. Proceed very slowly so that you don’t overload the bearings. The pinion preload will be zero until the bearings contact the races but will then increase very quickly. Use an inch-pound torque wrench to check the preload. If the pinion bearing preload exceeds the specified allowable range, install another new crush sleeve and start over.

Preload Shim Design: Clean the shims completely so that there are no particles that may cause a false preload reading or cause the shim stack to change thickness over time as the vehicle is driven. Slide the shim pack over the pinion shaft to the shelf. Use the original shims on the first assembly or add 0.003" to the original preload shims to make up for the bearings settling into the housing. Tighten the pinion nut to approximately 250 foot pounds. Go slowly so as not to damage the bearing if the preload shim stack is not thick enough. Use an inch-pound torque wrench to check the preload. If the preload is too loose then remove shims so that the bearings will be tighter against the races and increase the preload. If the preload is too tight then remove the pinion gear and add shims so that the bearings will not be as tight against the races.

All Designs: After reaching the correct preload, moderately tap both ends of the pinion to seat the bearings, races and yoke. Be careful not to hit the pinion so hard that it damages the bearings. After "seating" the pinion, check the pinion bearing preload again.

Crush Sleeve Design: If you are unsure about getting the correct pinion depth, it may be easier to install the pinion without a crush sleeve until the correct pinion depth has been established. Always use a new crush sleeve for final assembly. Slide the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft (unless you are using the trial and error method) and install the pinion through the rear of the housing. The yoke usually must be tapped on while applying pressure on the pinion gear head to hold it in place. Use an impact wrench or huge breaker bar to apply the torque necessary to crush the sleeve. Proceed very slowly so that you don’t overload the bearings. The pinion preload will be zero until the bearings contact the races but will then increase very quickly. Use an inch-pound torque wrench to check the preload. If the pinion bearing preload exceeds the specified allowable range, install another new crush sleeve and start over.

Preload Shim Design: Clean the shims completely so that there are no particles that may cause a false preload reading or cause the shim stack to change thickness over time as the vehicle is driven. Slide the shim pack over the pinion shaft to the shelf. Use the original shims on the first assembly or add 0.003" to the original preload shims to make up for the bearings settling into the housing. Tighten the pinion nut to approximately 250 foot pounds. Go slowly so as not to damage the bearing if the preload shim stack is not thick enough. Use an inch-pound torque wrench to check the preload. If the preload is too loose then remove shims so that the bearings will be tighter against the races and increase the preload. If the preload is too tight then remove the pinion gear and add shims so that the bearings will not be as tight against the races.

All Designs: After reaching the correct preload, moderately tap both ends of the pinion to seat the bearings, races and yoke. Be careful not to hit the pinion so hard that it damages the bearings. After "seating" the pinion, check the pinion bearing preload again."

The shim design mentioned in the article is for things like the Dana 60's etc where the pinion nut torque is around 200-250 ft-lbs. and usees both inner and outer shims to set pinion depth and pre-load.
Hope this helps

Bruce

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to get a new yoke for mine. The local gear shop puts a new one on EVERY sterling job, they had a driveline drop once and he said never again. He said he cant count how many have had bad splines. Says only the diesels and hard working gassers, torque ya know.

jpw

Reaction score
Some where between 92-94 ford changed the pinion and yoke to get more spline engagement the later parts can be used in the early trucks but yoke, nut, pinion and ring gear need to be chanded to match. Some guys also used a solid spacer (2pc) w/ shims from a 9" pinion to reduce loosening of nut, I have the spacer,r&p, and yoke sitting in the shop waiting for the next job but have not done the solid spacer before.

HTH Jason