pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple things: Since EFI, boost has been delivered pre fuel. In fact, I think the early TCs were blow through designs. No matter where you send in the fuel, it will cool down a little. Snow kits are usually after the FI.

Second, little has been done on mine since the last post. I was set to work on it and it started to rain...no good for welding when that happens. I was going to get to it on tuesday but my partner's wife died. I have been taking care of all of the work related stuff for him so he can focus on his kids and other pressing matters at home. Looooong days.

And as far as the blower drive off of the front of the water pump, not a good idea. You can think of the forces to use 10hp on that little shaft and then add to it exponentially by lengthing that with another pully. Go all the way to the crank and find a bigger pully, weld it on and balance it. add an idler and a tensioner to keep the belt from floppin like a naked mans parts in the wind. Much better setup and you will not have to put a new pump on it every other week. Im sure there are other things I forgot, but I have to go.

SWS

That is good info to know. What about mounting it where the fan is located? Idk its just a thought to take off the fan and use the bolt holes on it to mount an extra pulley. I have also though about your idea also.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, Im confused by that question too. I want mine to be dead nuts reliable and that is why I am using the factory belt location so it will all be tied to the crank. I just have to be sure I have enough wrap on the water pump to spin it when I shift. Since I do not have a fan, the load is a little less but the trade off is that it sometimes gets to near 200 degrees.:)

Another thing I forgot on this is the efficiency of the blowers. My car was running near 19 psi. BUT, that can be directly attributed to the piece of crap exhaust. Not really applicable but with this, the BEST, in a perfect world boost number would be 0. However, with valves, RPMs, intake, etc, that is obviously not possible. With the eatons, the best pressure is probably 10ish pounds of boost. I am not sure at what rate the heat acclerates/climbs, but after 8 psi, it starts to lose efficiency. If the OP can say what psi the one in the pic makes, there may be some info to share prior to getting mine done. I will however, try my best to get that info once mine is done.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Im confused by that question too. I want mine to be dead nuts reliable and that is why I am using the factory belt location so it will all be tied to the crank. I just have to be sure I have enough wrap on the water pump to spin it when I shift. Since I do not have a fan, the load is a little less but the trade off is that it sometimes gets to near 200 degrees.:)

Another thing I forgot on this is the efficiency of the blowers. My car was running near 19 psi. BUT, that can be directly attributed to the piece of crap exhaust. Not really applicable but with this, the BEST, in a perfect world boost number would be 0. However, with valves, RPMs, intake, etc, that is obviously not possible. With the eatons, the best pressure is probably 10ish pounds of boost. I am not sure at what rate the heat acclerates/climbs, but after 8 psi, it starts to lose efficiency. If the OP can say what psi the one in the pic makes, there may be some info to share prior to getting mine done. I will however, try my best to get that info once mine is done.

SWS

Nevermind the fan idea. I forgot it was on the waterpump. My bad... but yeah I think that the best spot probably is the crank then. I am going to take the fan off still and will run some of the Ford Taurus electric fans. Have you thought about doing that?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I actually have the fans already and was going to install them this spring/summer. But I got busy again and life happened. I was not happy with the low end power of this thing and until I get it to be able to pull its self up a hill, I won't be. So, ever upgrading has led me to this...supercharging.

SWS

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I was not happy with the low end power of this thing and until I get it to be able to pull its self up a hill, I won't be. So, ever upgrading has led me to this...supercharging.

SWS

one thing ive noticed bout my 6.9, it has gobs of torque at idle, and in first or second gear, itll walk around the world with anything you want. but try to make it go somewhere, and a horse with two broke legs, thats been dead for a month pulls harder, til you get it over bout 1800 rpms. its weird, cause it revs out at 3k, but the power band suggests its at least double that. its almost like drivin a pullin motor with the rev limiter set way too low.

when i get my 7.3 built up, i want to get HUGE fuel on the bottom end with 4-6 psi at idle. i still want peak torque between 1800 and 2400, but i wanna make this pig a hole-shot champ.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one thing ive noticed bout my 6.9, it has gobs of torque at idle, and in first or second gear, itll walk around the world with anything you want. but try to make it go somewhere, and a horse with two broke legs, thats been dead for a month pulls harder, til you get it over bout 1800 rpms. its weird, cause it revs out at 3k, but the power band suggests its at least double that. its almost like drivin a pullin motor with the rev limiter set way too low.

when i get my 7.3 built up, i want to get HUGE fuel on the bottom end with 4-6 psi at idle. i still want peak torque between 1800 and 2400, but i wanna make this pig a hole-shot champ.

Boost will definitely help with getting it moving for sure. Have you decided what you want to do for sure with your SC setup?

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i for sure want to go with an intake mounted blower setup. im thinkin bout usin the dual serpentine setup that ford had on late 80s and early 90s trucks. the one on my 460 had a belt that went crank, water, a/c, p/s, and a second one that went crank, water, smog, alt. i wanna use that kinda setup and throw both belts over the blower pulley. im gonna fab a custom intake for the blower, and with it, i might have to bend some custom injector lines. hell, i might just do the injector lines for the hell of it, to make it look better.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have the fans already and was going to install them this spring/summer. But I got busy again and life happened. I was not happy with the low end power of this thing and until I get it to be able to pull its self up a hill, I won't be. So, ever upgrading has led me to this...supercharging.

SWS

I heard those fans keep our trucks really cool, so that will be a really good upgrade. And ya an SC will help a lot going up hills. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i for sure want to go with an intake mounted blower setup. im thinkin bout usin the dual serpentine setup that ford had on late 80s and early 90s trucks. the one on my 460 had a belt that went crank, water, a/c, p/s, and a second one that went crank, water, smog, alt. i wanna use that kinda setup and throw both belts over the blower pulley. im gonna fab a custom intake for the blower, and with it, i might have to bend some custom injector lines. hell, i might just do the injector lines for the hell of it, to make it look better.

Hmmm that belts setup sounds like it would help a lot with belt slippage. And with your SC setup, you could also put an air-to-water intercooler on it like they had on Ford Lightnings. That would help keep the boost cooler. Also, have you thought about using braided steel for the injector lines? That would look cool and you can keep them away from the SC mount. That would work really well. Just some food for thought.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I would like to see the OP get back here with some answers about the vehicle. I want to see a video and boost numbers as well with the M90. I think those who really want to have 7ish psi at idle would be more inclined to get a M112. If you get one of those, use the one with the intake at the rear (used cobra) and make a plate like the one in the OP. If you REALLY need an intercooler, you will see what looks like a hobbs switch in the first post. Then add that to a snow setup and have it start injecting into the intake at 12 psi.

However, I am not sure where the 112 is most efficient, but I know you can get them for liek $300 bux.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see the OP get back here with some answers about the vehicle. I want to see a video and boost numbers as well with the M90. I think those who really want to have 7ish psi at idle would be more inclined to get a M112. If you get one of those, use the one with the intake at the rear (used cobra) and make a plate like the one in the OP. If you REALLY need an intercooler, you will see what looks like a hobbs switch in the first post. Then add that to a snow setup and have it start injecting into the intake at 12 psi.

However, I am not sure where the 112 is most efficient, but I know you can get them for liek $300 bux.

SWS

I really want to see more from that OP also. And as for the m112 that is why I went in that direction. I want a lot of boost off idle. I am sure it will boost pretty damn quickly and will spool my turbo well also. Mine is actually off a Lightning but it will work for my setup. I will have my Snow setup inject a lil earlier than 12 psi. I was thinking more like 7 psi.

blown84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm that belts setup sounds like it would help a lot with belt slippage. And with your SC setup, you could also put an air-to-water intercooler on it like they had on Ford Lightnings. That would help keep the boost cooler. Also, have you thought about using braided steel for the injector lines? That would look cool and you can keep them away from the SC mount. That would work really well. Just some food for thought.

ive thought bout usin a heat exchanger in there, but at the same time, itd just add to the complexity, and my goal is simplicity. as it is, its unusual and a lot of work, but fairly strait-forward. as far as the stainless, i was thinkin bout usin braided stainless lines for all of the low pressure bits, such as the fuel returns. for the high pressure bits, im torn between paintin the em ford blue, and polishin the crap out of em and slappin a coat of clear on top to keep em that way. regardless, everything under the hood will look really sharp, while still kinda low-key.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard those fans keep our trucks really cool, so that will be a really good upgrade. And ya an SC will help a lot going up hills. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hey guys,

do you have a reference for those electric fans on a 7.3?? Are they the same for a 6.9?? Part number, source, brand?? I must have missed it in this thread.

I just installed a 3G alternator for this type of thing, plus, I reallyreallyreallyreally hate putting on the belts over the engine fan blades... I dunno, I'm a simpleton sometimes.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive thought bout usin a heat exchanger in there, but at the same time, itd just add to the complexity, and my goal is simplicity. as it is, its unusual and a lot of work, but fairly strait-forward. as far as the stainless, i was thinkin bout usin braided stainless lines for all of the low pressure bits, such as the fuel returns. for the high pressure bits, im torn between paintin the em ford blue, and polishin the crap out of em and slappin a coat of clear on top to keep em that way. regardless, everything under the hood will look really sharp, while still kinda low-key.

You are right that it would be more complex but at the same time it allows for more power. But either way an SC will help a lot on the low end. And as far as the braided steel lines, you could even get ones for high pressure too, but polished would look pretty cool too in my book.