Perkins in a Ford swap?

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Hey, first off i have a 95 F-250 with a bad 7.3PSD, I know a guy with 3 perkins 6 cylinder diesels. I was just wondering if this has ever been done before? What type of equipment had a 6cyl perkins? Does anybody know if the trans will bolt up or am i going to need to get an adapter plate made? all i know about the perkins it is a mechanical engine, im going to go this week and take a look at one to see if there turboed or not, and the HP and Torque ratings. Would this seem like a good idea? He will sell me all 3 running engines for $1200.:dunno

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Hey, first off i have a 95 F-250 with a bad 7.3PSD, I know a guy with 3 perkins 6 cylinder diesels. I was just wondering if this has ever been done before? What type of equipment had a 6cyl perkins? Does anybody know if the trans will bolt up or am i going to need to get an adapter plate made? all i know about the perkins it is a mechanical engine, im going to go this week and take a look at one to see if there turboed or not, and the HP and Torque ratings. Would this seem like a good idea? He will sell me all 3 running engines for $1200.:dunno

Its been done, I know of a few Myself and considered doing it but decided against it bc I could not find one for a reasonable price. $1200 for 3 running perkins is a great deal I would get them. Figure a perkins is like a cummins and they compare in power and reliability if You ask Me. You'll need an adapter plate but that shouldn't be so hard to accomplish.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are likely quite old. Figure out what they are first. Cummins has made thousands of different engines, so has Perkins (Now Cat). They might be useful, they are likely boat anchors.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id say with the price you could get yourself a used PSD, to just go with that

i know people hate them, but i think its better to stay true to brand form, but 6.0 swap?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perkins ARE a very durable engine, we've got one sitting in a combine on the farm. It only runs a little every year, has very little preventive maintenance to it, and yet has done very little to leave us sitting in the field due to engine issues other than a starter that's been needing to be replaced for quite a while.

I would LOVE to have one of these in a truck.

Gary79F250

The Bawston Whalah
Reaction score
there are no precups in a 6.354... it is a DI engine. from every thing I have heard perkins are a durable engine.

Hate to break it to ya but every marine perkins ive worked on has ben an idi. I havent workred on any vehicle/stationary perkins. but remember that there were IDI 3406 cats too. im not oubting you just stating what ive seen.

Burninoil

Reaction score
there were many versions of the 6.354 engine. never heard of an idi in the series, but i have absolutely no experience with marine 354s. there are no precups in 354s built for farm or automotive use. they use a squish lip combustion chamber.