Penny pinchin backyard rebuild

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Ethan Smith, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Ethan Smith

Ethan Smith Full Access Member

Howdy boys, turns out bosch is a great glowplug if you like to tear engines apart. Two broke off already inside and im not even pulling the rest until the heads are off. Question is while the engines out ive got the money to put about one or two new things besideshead gaskets in her before i seal her up. Question is what? I thought of getting a set of injectors but maybe i should get studs? Help a hillbilly out and tell me what to throw in this contraption.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

I would do studs. Injectors are relatively easy to do in-frame, while studs are best with engine out.
    Could do a cam.

You ain't penny pinching/hillbilly til you got a engine swinging from the tree on a come along.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3. Ethan Smith

Shoot man, you mean an old LS block my old womerns using as a planter dont count? Dang and here i thought i was hillbilly. Better set the swing up for my boy then. Yeah i can wait on the injectors, i reckon i autta get a pump along with them. Studs is prolly the best bet there chief. But shoot dang a cam sure sounds nice

chillman88 and 79jasper like this.
  4. saburai

saburai Full Access Member

Definitely studs. You can do injectors any time.

Frstdiesel likes this.
  5. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

there is a unbolting pattern for the heads follow it closer than the word of God of you will have a set of cracked heads on your hands.
    if you are pinching pennies.......running on stupid will cost you dearly.

D_Fresh361 and turbonator like this.
  6. genscripter

genscripter Full Access Member

I'm not sure about the "unbolting pattern." I looked up the service manual and only found this:

"Cylinder Head Removal

1. Engines w/ Serial No 823 762 and Below: Remove the seventeen cylinder head "plain head" mounting bolts and washers. Refer to Figure 3.14 (just a picture of a guy unbolting head bolts)
    Engines w/ Serial No 823 763 and Above: Remove the seventeen cylinder head "flange head" mounting bolts. Refer to Figure 3.14.

2. Attach lifting eyes or equivalent to each end of the cylinder head.

3. Install a suitable lifting sling (SE-1896) to lifting eyes and carefully remove each cylinder head."

Were you talking more about the torquing pattern instead?

[​IMG]

http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/7-3-idi-cylinder-head-head-gasket-and-arp-stud-installation/

7. Thewespaul

Thewespaul Supporting Member Supporting Member

You unbolt the head bolts in reverse of the torquing pattern, may not be explicit in the manual, but it’s common sense with any cylinder head

8. towcat

towcat Administrator Staff Member

you are correct. my "unbolting pattern" is the reverse of the tightening procedure.

nostrokes and turbonator like this.
  9. bbjordan

bbjordan Snow Monkey

You mean, like this:

IMG_1175.JPG

10. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

When unbolting, I like to just "crack" the bolts loose ( just move them slightly to relieve some but not all of the torque) in the reverse pattern. Then I'll go through again and loosen them up all of the way. I figure that they're tightened in multiple steps, so they should be loosened in multiple steps too. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but I feel that it does so that's what counts to me.

genscripter and saburai like this.
  11. nj_m715

nj_m715 government's finest Supporting Member

are you sure you need to pull the heads?
    you can remove the injector and go fishing
    try working the gp in and out instead of just forcing them out?

12. Kiwif150

Kiwif150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is a good idea - i get the engine up to temp and spray gp's with inox (bit like pb blaster) leave it overnight and then remove. V6 diesel mercs have a gp that is about 8 inches long so you do not want one of those suckers twisting off on you :):). I can remember getting that pis**d off with an old 2.8 hilux that came in with broken glow plugs that i removed the plug and used a fine pin punch to gently tap the broken glow bulb with the engine running at about 2500rpm ...... never did find that broken bit that came flying out - i wouldn't recommend doing that but the owner of the hilux could have taught fish about being a tightarse and refused to pay to take the head off!!

Jason1377 likes this.
  13. Ethan Smith

Ive got it tore down pretty good right now. Reckon im gonna buy a new radiator for it. Old ones leaking and scaled and i just figured what the heck. Could save the money amd get injectors but i figure a new ones gonna cool the engine better seeing as how this ones over 30 years old and full of shit.