Particulate Filters

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Someone I know is buying a 2007 Cummins and just found out about the pm filter problems. Can anyone explain whats going on and how can you get around this problem. I don't know much about the filters other than they clean up the soot buy heating up the exhaust gas to burn off the material. Even that is not something I know for sure. Tahnks...:D

Whit

Reaction score
there is a kit out there to rid this problem but I aint to up on it right yet ................I dunno if it would be a good thing to do these days with bypassing a federally mandated emissions device.....................course ya can do it for compatition purposes only yaknow

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Basically what a particulate filter does is trap the soot that is coming out of the exhaust. This reduces the emmisions of the truck. There are 2 sensors, one before, and one after the filter. These sensors pick up on the backpressure, and when it gets to a certain level the truck goes into regen. Basically the new 6.7's are having trouble with the turbo's, they are getting clogged up with soot. I would recommened buying a DPF delete, and EGR delete for it. That basically makes them a good long lasting truck.

I heard of one guy who got in a major accident with his truck, with all the deletes and everything. Truck was hit and rolled over several times and ended up on its side I think. He never got in trouble for having the deletes, so I think you are safe but dont quote me.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Big fines possible for deleting the DPF or EGR equipment....It's not easy to delete a DPF as the ECM looks for the DPF temp sensor readings and differential pressure sensor readings....You would need to recalibrate the ECM to get around the current 07' calibration.

vicespn

Reaction score
The problem of sooting up has been corrected. I am a diesle tech at a local dodge dealer, the o7 6.7L cummins is the one that has the biggest problem, basically cummins has installed an egr valve onto the vehicle. This egr valve now brings exhaust gasses back into the intake manifold, with this recirculation all components in the exhaust are getting extremely sooted up,the main part that gets sooted is the turbocharger, and with cummins incorporating the exhaust brake into the turbo we now have faulty exhaust brakes, the fix is to completely clean out the exhaust system ,replace the turbo and update the ecm, with all this the problem is resolved. I now have about 8 6.7L turbochargers that i am looking to get rid of, they have been cleaned, one is off an 08 and nothing is wrong with it, it has 2,000 miles on it

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've been replacing DPF's and turbo's on ISB, ISC and ISL's pretty much daily....In the truck market the mid-range Cummins are having a lot of issues with the regen technology. The claim their new recon turbo will fix it but they also claimed the DPF's would go 200,000K on the ash maintenance interval and I've seen them plugged or breached at 35,000KM. I spend pretty much all day - everyday working on DPF related issues or calibration problems....CAT and Dertroit are having issues as well.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been several updates for the ECM programing that greatly improves the problems with sooting up. Unfortunately you have to have a failure for the Dodge dealership to update your ecm...I imagine if you ask them to update the ecm with out an actual problem they may charge you. The other problem is if you have a check engine light come on for anything, even not related to the DPF, The ecm will no longer allow the system to do a regen. So if your light comes on do not waste time to get it in to the dealership.

As far as the DPF elimination kits, you may not get a ticket, but Dodge will not cover any repairs under warranty.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having DPF issues I have a good friend of mine who owns a dpf cleaning company he can renew your plugged DPF instead of buying a new one for a coupple hundred buck insted of having to buy a new one if warnty wont cover it plus hes pretty knowledgeable on DPF stuff. for me I didnt want a new truck cause of all the emissions crap but after talking with him and knowing that I can get things fixed cheeply made my decision to buy a new truck much eaiser;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online