Paint/clear coat on valve covers?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: Will standard paint/clear handle the temperature of a valve cover or do I need to look for high temp alternatives?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never had rattle can get baked off the valve covers.

that said, any decent paint will work.

if you want to clear them, for the best results, is to spray the VC in a gun, not rattle can.
takes longer, but turns out better.
i just used some rattle can clear on some small pieces iof this 59 GMC, and they look like cheap paint.
paint them just like you would paint the truck.
ive even sprayed rustolium cut with acetone, and its done fine.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured I would clear them when I'm clearing the truck. I'm trying to decide if I want to nickel plate the valve covers and stencil them in black letters or reverse the process and have the nickel show through the stenciled part. Probably stencil black on the silver. There will be a lot of black in the engine bay so the extra nickel showing should be okay I think. I was going to paint the stencil, then clear the whole thing but I don't necessarily have to clear it if I go that way. Could just use the enamel with hardener and be done with it. Since it won't be in the sun light, shouldn't fade too bad I wouldn't think. Or get a good qt of urethane black base.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a old retired buddy thats doing an intake for me.
i think the next job im gonna have him do is to build a set of aluminum valve covers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online