Overheating in interstate

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
I’ve had this truck 6 months so I don’t know any maintenance history except what I have done.

This is the first time I’ve really worked this truck. Putting around town or running with no load it doesn’t overheat, but I’m 150 miles into a 500 mile trip pulling a trailer with a tractor on it. The light has come in a few times, I pull over and it’s not boiling, gauge pops back down to 3/4 so I run again. Running about 55mph at about 2250 rpm. This time it’s boiling over. But on top of the coolant jug it has what looks like gray silicone sealer clumps. Is this from mixed coolant? How do I clean it? If I put in a new radiator will it just plug again?

Attachments

• D43DDDD4-A71A-438E-984D-1218DDA99CE7.jpeg
    D43DDDD4-A71A-438E-984D-1218DDA99CE7.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 10

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, it could be head gasket sealer. I wouldn't do a radiator until you can flush it really good.

HKT Firearms

Reaction score
Get that block and the water jackets flushed real good. I wouldn't flush what's in you radiator or heater core thru the block. Disconnect those lines from the block and flush them separately. Looks like a good candidate for coolant flush solution too.

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
UPDATE...

I pulled the radiator and thermostat and flushed the engine really well with straight water. The tubes of the radiator were clogged with normal looking deposits. The radiator had some other damage and shoddy repairs. So the truck now has a new radiator, thermostat and water pump (no fault found with the pump, just as preventative since i was in that far)

So far it seems much better, but will let you know after I hook up the trailer and give it another good run.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with this.
Let us know as some of us have issues with rad replacement vendors.
What'd ya get?

Ranchdweller

Reaction score
I got my radiator from Oreillys. I had an issue with the 1/2" hose nipple not fitting. I got a 3/8" pipe tap and fixed the threads on the radiator. So far, no other issues.