OT Toyota 2L diesel

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine has one of these and he's having trouble getting it to run right. Its very smokey going down the road and has a front main seal leak even though he just had that seal replaced. It apparently also chews glow plugs. Does anyone know anything more about the particulars of this engine if it was any good and if it is IDI or DI, and what were its strongpoints and pitfalls and can a turbo be added with reasonable safety. I know this is OT but hopefully the mods will let it sit for awhile at least until some folks get to look it over. I appreciate it guys.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
The front seal could have been not installed correctly or there is wear on the crank so you might be able to get a wear sleeve
as for the engine it self i have no clue

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The front seal could have been not installed correctly or there is wear on the crank so you might be able to get a wear sleeve
as for the engine it self i have no clue

That is exactly what I was going to say, You need a wear sleeve. That is what I had to use when I did the front seal on My 6bt, You can get the right seal but the seal will wear down the section where it rides and oil will just leak through it.

As for the turbo, any diesel can use a turbo as long as You don't try and skyrocket the boost. The glow plugs, well the first thing that comes to mind, is he using #2 only, if yes then timing.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No he's at 50/50 #2 and biodiesel homebrew. I'll let him know about the crank wear sleeve. I had not heard of that possibility, but it sounds right. I was thinking turbo or some forced induction or at least ram air because he's a greenie and kind of embarassed by the clouds of black smoke this thing blows even on B50.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For diagnosis he needs to clear out the veg and get it on straight diesel with some good cleaner for a couple of tanks then a fresh fuel filter to eliminate some variables. Some good ol Howes meaner power cleaner would be great here.

With teh combination of heavy smoke and running veg, theres a good chance he's got an injector or two slobbering a bit, so try that first, then on to adjusting timing and fuel mixture. What kind of pump does that thing have?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck if I know, I think its an inline pump, but not real sure. I hoped you or someone else would know. Yeah I'd want it on known good fuel but the biodiesel really shouldn't be much of a problem since its true bio and not straight veggie oil. Same stuff I run in my truck at B100 most of the time. Still it might not be a bad idea to run it on D2 for awhile. Anybody know how to time one of these things if you can use a ferret or a lumy meter or what or if Toyota had a special tool of their own for it? I agree on the injectors I'll tell him they ought to be pulled and checked.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the motor, but have worked on some other japanese diesels. I bet timing on the thing is nothing more than lining up a line on the crank with another on the ip. After that you just play with the ip until you like it. Does it have a timing chain or belt?
I second the idea of having the injectors checked, I be they are in bad shape.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to play with it much. He's pretty handy and would probably be doing most of the work. I'll get more particulars from him unless someone else here can tell us more about it, I guess I just need to do some more research. Thanks.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, does this have a timing belt? Is it OHC? What is the year of the truck?

If it does, then you also have more potential sources for oil leaks at the front of the engine. If it has silent shafts, thats two more possible sources. Some japanese diesels like to loosen the crank shaft bolt if its not tightened all the way to spec. That causes the crank and timing sproket to vibrate and produce irratic timing.

Smoke like that really sounds like a timing off by one tooth, but the bio could also be wreaking havoc on old seals in the fuel system. Is the IP original? I can promise you they didn't use viton seals back then.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IP is recently rebuilt by a reputable builder here with lots of experience. I don't know about the silent shafts or whether its an OHC. I think the engine is early 80s vintage, he said out of a Toyota van. Maybe it was a 1980? The truck is an 85. I'll have to ask hime if there's any possible way it could have jumped timing and we'll see if those crank bolts could have walked out or loose causing the erratic timing.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I found an online manual for that thing but it gives no spec for the timing or instructions short of r&R of the existing pump and making a mark where it stands and setting it back in the same place. Not real helful if the pump has been rebuilt, the mark won't be accurate. I'd be inclined to mark it , then play with the timing in small increments. If you have a ferret, you can get a adapter clamp to fit the smaller metric line and get a base reading and go from there

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I know them motors well. I have two!!! one has a factory turbo (2L-T). It is a second generation L series motor 2.4l The first gen was a 2.2 and almost the same motor. It is an OHC timing belt motor with an aluminum head. Thus you MUST keep them from overheating or they will blow head gaskets. Otherwise they are a great little mill. Excellent mileage and run forever. the throttle shaft o-ring on the IP is prone to leaking.. No big deal. Replace the timing belt every 100k at the most for peace of mind.

Your timing is almost certainly out by the sounds of how its running. Belt could be and probably is out a tooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac