Oregoneons Are Pumping Gas

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gandalf, Jan 4, 2018.

1. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

Around here, diesel is diesel. The stuff the big trucks get is the same the auto pumps get. It's all ULSD. Even the Red stuff is the same ULSD as the on-road, just has the "dye" added.......

2. pelky350

pelky350 Full Access Member

The flow rate is rediculous on those I used it on my truck once the nozzle didn't fit but I held it there to use it since the line for other diesel was a mile long and all the big truck pumps were empty. I feel like the diesel could be cleaner since those tanks get used and filled so often possibly but other than that all the diesel is the same I belive though some belive off road diesel is like racing diesel or something because of its red die but most know better lol

3. Pork_Chop50

Pork_Chop50 He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me.... Supporting Member

Absolutely correct. There was a time off road was high sulfur but those days are long gone. The only diesel I am aware as possible high sulfur is purple railroad diesel, though I have no hard evidence of this. And little known fact diesel has been legal to self pump in Oregon for years along with motorcycles.

4. austin92

austin92 Full Access Member

Why couldn’t you pump your own fuel out there? Like why was that law put in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Pork_Chop50

Law from 1951, NJ passed the same law in 1949, which states that due to the potential for fire dispensing flammable products it is in the public interest to leave dispensation to professional attendants. No kidding. Though Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states in the nation who continued to have this law in effect. Everyone else decided over time to go self serve.

6. gandalf

gandalf Senior Member

Professional attendants? I've dealt with some of those professional attendants. I can understand why the other 48 states do not have similar laws. I have been pleasantly surprised with some. With others it is an entry level job, permanently held. Sometimes it is simply a supplemental income. It certainly is not what it used to be, when the attendant would pump your gas, check the oil and water, sometimes the air in your tires. I can remember when every station had attendants, and they did a really good job.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 12:58 AM
    chillman88 likes this.
  7. compressionignitionrules

compressionignitionrules Full Access Member

Wow its hard to find a full serve gas station in Ontario now, like 1 for every 20 self serve. small towns still seem to have them , nearby Listowel has 2 full serve and 2 self serve.
    Ambulance drivers are not allowed to pump fuel here, because of their risk of oxygen exposure in the vehicle. some diesel pumps in Ontario are yellow and some are green. I've never made the mistake myself , but have drained some gas from diesel vehicles at work before.

maybe we will have the same problems here now that mari will be legal now too.

8. Danielle

Danielle I'm not allowed any more trucks!

Everytime it comes up to change NJ to self serve there is an insane uproar about taking away jobs.

In smaller stations you can pump your own diesel but big chains it seems they train their workers to pump all fuel and not allow self serve. Plus most stations here have PINs that have to be entered by attendant to unlock the pump.

When I lived in Massachusetts we had a lot of stations that did both self and full serve. The full was a few more cents a gallon. My mom would use full when she had all us kids in the car and use it as an opportunity to hand out slaps to whoever was being bad haha

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

chillman88 likes this.
  9. snicklas

snicklas 6.0 and Loving It!! Staff Member

Funny part of this I, and a few other members have actually heard of Listowel....... we are fans of Letterkenny...... just wish we could watch it now that it has become a real show........

Here in Central Indiana, I can't think of any "full" service stations left. The last ones we had were a small chain called Swifty, the 2 islands closest to the phone booth (that's about all the bigger the building was, they sold gas, that's it, I think they had a locker with a small selection of smokes, and a couple of pop machines in the corner of the lot) and the two closest to the road were self serve, but the attendant had to come over with the a key and unlock the pump with a key switch on the pump. The owner passed and they all sold. Now everything is self serve, and most is pre-pay, either at the pump, or the register. The station I use actually will let you pump before you pay, and is the only station I will by diesel from.

10. Kiwif150

Kiwif150 Registered User

Pretty much all self serve here .... 91 is green , 95 is red , 98 is blue and diesel is black .... diesel has larger nozzle plus some petrol stations have a pump for heavy trucks that has a high flow rate with an 1 1/2 inch nozzle

11. Danielle

98?!

12. pelky350

pelky350 Full Access Member

Yes in Oregon we can pump our own diesel, I prefer it because my tank has a trick to letting fuel in otherwise the attendants that refuse to let me pump it myself take like 20 minutes to get any fuel in and then tell me it's full , I end up having to get out and insist I do it and then I get it to take fuel and they ask how did I do that?? Lol

13. jwalterus

jwalterus Made in America

What's wrong with that?
    Our pumps here go 87, 89 or 91, 91 or 93 (or 97 at a couple) depending on the station

14. Danielle

I'm just jealous

15. Pork_Chop50

hey @snicklas how are ya now? (insert Canadian accent)
    @Danielle same here. Jealous about 98 at the pump. Kiwi's get all the fun