opinions on synthetic winch rope

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm about to mount a new to me heavy winch in my carhauler that needs a cable and the winch on the front of my truck is a 12k warn and I might need to use a snatch block at some time to pull it with the trailer so I was thinking of removing the stock cable off the warn and popping it on the Pierce that's going in the trailer and grabbing a real heavy 1/2" synthetic to go on the Warn with a 24k capacity just in case I ever need to use the snatch block ( while hiding under the dash :eek: LOL
Thanks----Robert

gatorman21218

Reaction score
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/amsteelfaq.asp

I bought a 3 ton come-a-long from these guys last year and its a really nice product. I got my truck with a 23 foot boat attached to it stuck in the mud and the come-a-long saved the day along with the 100 foot choker cable. They mentioned that rope stuff but I couldnt justify it at the time.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Says its stronger than steel, no strands to tear up your hands, and it wont whiplash.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i have amsteel on my 8000lb warn m8000 and its about 10 years old now and still works fine. however if its not something thats used alot the lower layers on the drum tend to deform and stick together.

if you use it alot....amsteel is nice....if not...stay with cable

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad put some rope on his ATV winch (regulation winch rope from the ATV dealer, not just some walmart rope), granted a lighter duty rope than you would be using, but after it broke 3 times in as many months he went back to cable.

I also, though it is not what your thread is about, concur with gatorman21218 regarging the more power puller winch. Have one in my personal and my work truck and they have extricated me from tough spots more than once. A 2 ton is what I have used and they easily pull that.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Fyi....amsteel brand is typically what all the big name rock crawling guys use on their competition rigs. Its lighter then cable when seconds count....however i still stand behind my original statement.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm about to mount a new to me heavy winch in my carhauler that needs a cable and the winch on the front of my truck is a 12k warn and I might need to use a snatch block at some time to pull it with the trailer so I was thinking of removing the stock cable off the warn and popping it on the Pierce that's going in the trailer and grabbing a real heavy 1/2" synthetic to go on the Warn with a 24k capacity just in case I ever need to use the snatch block ( while hiding under the dash :eek: LOL
Thanks----Robert

Why are you going to hide under the dash, cable still only sees 12,000 even though you have 24,000 lbs of pull.

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
the rope wont kill anyone so thats an upside. but it fray and wear alittle faster than a cable will imo.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the rope wont kill anyone so thats an upside. but it fray and wear alittle faster than a cable will imo.

it should come with a heavy nylon sleeve that your suppose to use on the areas where its will chaff. if nothing else (been looking for some myself) try and talk to the local V. Fire Dept. and see if they have any old 1 1/2" hose they will get rid of. cut out about 2'-3' sections to act as a tougher sleeve for that purpose.

but to give you an idea...in a comp i had a leaf spring break on my samurai and the front axle tried to walk out from under the front while going over a rock. i took the wince and run the rope down under the truck to a cross member and around to the axle. tightened down the winch and pulled the axle back up into the spring bumpstops effectively eliminating the suspension and holding the axle solid against the frame....then proceeded to run another course like that. that rope held like a champ and i got the best score of the day like that hahaha.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Why are you going to hide under the dash, cable still only sees 12,000 even though you have 24,000 lbs of pull.

I thought I'd be overloading my cable with a snatch block, but what you're saying , even though it doubles the pull , the cable still stays within it's original range ?
If that's the case Id probably be better off just getting a new cable for the trailer winch

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i have amsteel on my 8000lb warn m8000 and its about 10 years old now and still works fine. however if its not something thats used alot the lower layers on the drum tend to deform and stick together.

if you use it alot....amsteel is nice....if not...stay with cable

It's sounding more and more like I need to just leave the cable alone up front and just get a new one for my trailer winch. I haven'tused the one on the front of my truck in 2 years and that was only to drag a vehicle around the yard. I think it might get a little excercise in a few weeks dragging a molbil home frame around., it's definately there for emergencies and utility only. ( around here on back roads after storms if you don't own a chainsaw and a winch, you aren't going very far )

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I thought I'd be overloading my cable with a snatch block, but what you're saying , even though it doubles the pull , the cable still stays within it's original range ?
If that's the case Id probably be better off just getting a new cable for the trailer winch

The cable only notices how much you're pulling, BUT the snatch block and what ever is used to attach it to the tree will see double the force applied to the rope/cable.

By using the snatch block and getting 24,000lbs pull, you're essentially using 2 cables each handling 12,000lbs (12,000x2=24,000), because you're still only putting 12,000 lbs of force on the cable. Sorry, me trying to explain something in text doesn't work to well, I do not mean to over explain and offend anyone, just want to make sure that you understand what I'm trying to say.

Last edited: