One mans mess is my project...

Idilarry89

Reaction score
ok, so I’ve got one that has me stumped. One of my customers brought me a 95 PSD with a no start. It started as a random stall, then it died while heading home and had never started since.

He had it at another shop for the last 9 months and all he did was take stuff apart and he robbed parts off of it. After putting it back together, with all the parts I found randomly laying all over the truck and some I had to buy (the starter in particular), I got it cranking.

New fuel filter, that was missing and the res was left open. Have fuel pressure, filled the bowl quickly, HPOP has oil, HPOP builds 3800 PSI cranking (checked with my mechanical gauge inline with injector rail) tach moves while cranking so CPS is probably good. Hear the injectors clatter while cranking, and I have smoke coming out the tailpipe.

What I think is weird though is I get just as much smoke from the exhaust with the injector harnesses unplugged as plugged in. I would think it wouldn’t be smoking at all with the injectors unhooked?? I’m fairly new to 7.3s although I’ve worked on a few, but my diagnosis is based on the DT466e and 530e which use this style of HPOP system. So I’m curious to know what else I should be looking at from some veteran 7.3 guys.