om603 white smoke?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im looking into a 1992 Mercedes 300SD thats in real good shape. The problem is its the 3.5 om603 and it blows white smoke. The guy sent a video and its a very light white smoke its not very noticable but it is there. The engine runs great starts right up and has no weird noises it burns no oil and has 167k miles. The smoke increases with acceleration not in amount of smoke just increased speed. To me it sounds like its just a bad injector i dont think its a major internal problem.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would i be safe driving it the 210 miles back and just fill the tank with some good injector cleaner or should i tow it back in case of a stuck open injector. I dont think its a stuck open injector as that should cause massive smoke while this is only a barley noticable white smoke

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to drive 210 miles to get too it, might as well just take a trailer. Even if you have to rent a uhaul trailer, you’ll probably be at an even swap money wise on fuel only driving one back. Just my $.02

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically you will hear a bad injector nailing. If it sounds good, I would suspect just old fuel or retarded timing. I would not hesitate to drive it home if if sounds good.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He did say that its been sitting for 5 years but even before it did smoke. I does sound good so ill probably bring a can of injector cleaner with me and give it a good drive home see if it clears up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01