Oil rail. Dummy plugs. And stand pipe

Donwan

Reaction score
Never mind. I see where they go. Not sure about the markings though

Kinda confused on this. Trying to get my heads back on. There was a tube I pulled off the bottom of the head between the block and head, when lifting the head off. I assume it’s the stand tube (shown on oil rails in pic). Is that called the stand tube?
All the info I have seen says u can take off the stand tube off the top of the heads.
Why is there markings all over the oil rail? Did someone do work on this truck before? Bought it with 27k miles on it. Figured they haven’t.

Got new stand pipe and dummy plugs on the way. Just wasn’t sure if I can put it in before or after the heads are on
2004.5 6.0

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those are likely assembly line markings.
To the left of the "high pressure oil branch" is the STC.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be aware, the 04.5 does have wavy oil rails (the above pic is of the 03 straight rails, so yours is a "little" different), but it does NOT have the new style pump. As I mentioned in the other thread, I would throw a dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP on it since the OEM style fails so often (and since you have it torn down this far).

The standpipe does come apart (two pieces), but, yes the pic shows the standpipes for each side. Yes you can remove the stand pipes from the top of the head. You really should have removed the standpipes before removing the heads (actually you can remove them before you remove the oil rails). The updated dummy plugs and standpipes have the 12mm hex drive heads on them (accessed from the top of the oil rail). Make sure that is what you have!

Read through the attached info for some added detail on all this:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/2004 6.0L Updated Coffee Table Book.pdf

Last edited:

Donwan

Reaction score
I had already ordered a bunch of stuff from sinister before I started posting. I ordered their oil pump, head gaskets, egr, coolant filter,apr bolts,icp sensor then after posting here I ordered the bulletproof items; engine oil cooler, stand pipes and dummy plug kit, fuel pressure upgrade spring.
Not sure why I have 03 oil rails, in an 04 truck and a square egr cooler. ???
I have had the heads pressure checked and cleaned at a good machine shop.
Traded in my injectors and 1500 for remaned injectors at diesel pump and injector service in Houston
got the heads back on, they didn't replace the orings and washer on the injectors :( , I I just got them from the ford dealer today. Will be working on them tomorrow. My bulletproof stuff should be in tomorrow also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.