Oil leak down filter

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just got my engine running after swapping it. It seems to run well but I have a constant leak coming down the oil filter. I thought maybe it was just a filter leak so I replaced the filter and it still has the same leak. It’s wet
On top of the filter housing. I assume this has to do with the oil cooler? Is this a common place to leak? The bolts holding the cooler to the block are tight. I used all new gaskets when I put the cooler on. Any help?
You must be registered for see images attach

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say check the surface where the rubber o ring meets the housing. I've used PSD filters before and never had a leak. I don't think it's the cooler.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Try tightening the filter a bit more? Maybe you got a filter with a damaged seal.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
lI know that on all my IDI's and ones they other friends have owned, I've had to crank down the filter to good-n-tight...... the normal hand snug + a 1/4 turn always leaked..... only filter I've ever had that with...... Plus IDI filters are a bi**h to get off..... Everything I've ever owned I have been able to remove the oil filter by hand (except the 6.0 and they area cartridge with a cap) (I've also been told I have a hand grip like vice grips... lol)... the IDI's always take a tool and some "colorful words" to get off the truck......

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Really? An extra large (than normal ones that fits cars) band style oil filter wrench removes IDI filters fine for me without any problem and without any major damage to the filter.

This might be the one I have? I'd have to check mine to see if it has a part number.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ord/e-350-econoline?q=oil+filter+wrench&pos=6

That's what I am saying. I have to use a strap like that, or one fg the seat belt style, or I even have one that looks like a big set of channel-locks that I use. My point was, this is the only oil filter that I have to crank down to keep from leaking, and use a tool to remove. I've never had another spin-on filter that I couldn't get loose with my bare hand, or worst case a "machanics glove" for a bit of extra grip to remove. Every IDI has been stubborn in both directions.... I've had a couple that on the first oil change after purchase (the filter had been installed by the PO) that took a screwdriver to get loose......

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
How much oil did you put on the o-ring seal? A Lot? I've seen it leak like that from using a lot of oil. It hadn't ever continued to leak. It was the excess just running down the filter. Wipe it off and see if it keeps dripping.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that problem a lot. I really have to crank them down to get the rubber seal to actually seal. Then they somehow get tighter and are a royal pain to get off. I have bent two different oil filter wrenches. I have had to use a big screw driver twice and one of those times I was pretty sure I was going to just tear the filter up without getting it off.

Looking at it this time closer I think the metal surface has some corrosion and slight roughness to it. I didn’t have time to do it this time but the plain is to try and clean it up next time to see if it helps. Not sure the best method yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also oil on the housing above the filter. When my truck was running years ago I always used the power stroke filter and never had this issue. I can tighten it more but I am concerned it’s coming from the top of the filter housing. I’ll get the mirror out tomorrow to see if I can get a better view.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say check the surface where the rubber o ring meets the housing. I've used PSD filters before and never had a leak. I don't think it's the cooler.

I did look at that when I took the filter off. It did not look bad.

Try tightening the filter a bit more? Maybe you got a filter with a damaged seal.

I did do that with the first filter, I can try tightening this one more, but I’m concerned it’s leaking above the filter and just running down the filter.

lI know that on all my IDI's and ones they other friends have owned, I've had to crank down the filter to good-n-tight...... the normal hand snug + a 1/4 turn always leaked..... only filter I've ever had that with...... Plus IDI filters are a bi**h to get off..... Everything I've ever owned I have been able to remove the oil filter by hand (except the 6.0 and they area cartridge with a cap) (I've also been told I have a hand grip like vice grips... lol)... the IDI's always take a tool and some "colorful words" to get off the truck......

I can try to tighten it more but I already have it one there pretty well.

How much oil did you put on the o-ring seal? A Lot? I've seen it leak like that from using a lot of oil. It hadn't ever continued to leak. It was the excess just running down the filter. Wipe it off and see if it keeps dripping.

I already did that before I posted this thread. When the truck is cold after it has been running it will start to drop and will continue until I turn the truck off.

I have had that problem a lot. I really have to crank them down to get the rubber seal to actually seal. Then they somehow get tighter and are a royal pain to get off. I have bent two different oil filter wrenches. I have had to use a big screw driver twice and one of those times I was pretty sure I was going to just tear the filter up without getting it off.

Looking at it this time closer I think the metal surface has some corrosion and slight roughness to it. I didn’t have time to do it this time but the plain is to try and clean it up next time to see if it helps. Not sure the best method yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using my oil filter wrench pliers to tighten and take off the filters. I may pick up a standard oil filter wrench.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s leaking from above the filter. I did a cold start this morning and started looking around with the mirror. After a minute or so I saw this start to develop.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that picture is worth a few "choice" words. Did you use any gasket dressing or just the paper gaskets?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that picture is worth a few "choice" words. Did you use any gasket dressing or just the paper gaskets?

I did not use any dressing. The gaskets I used were felpro and they were the aluminum ones with the rubber seals around the holes.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know aluminum gaskets were available for the IDI. Are you certain you didn't get a 7.3 Powerstroke kit, I know I did when I first ordered a set. A quick bit of internet searching and I can only find paper gaskets for our engine.

In my experience a lot of parts departments don't have all the 7.3 P-stroke separated from the 7.3 IDI

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know aluminum gaskets were available for the IDI. Are you certain you didn't get a 7.3 Powerstroke kit, I know I did when I first ordered a set. A quick bit of internet searching and I can only find paper gaskets for our engine.

In my experience a lot of parts departments don't have all the 7.3 P-stroke separated from the 7.3 IDI

I cannot day for sure. I ordered all of this stuff over two years ago. I can try to find my order. Does the power stroke have the same bolt pattern as the idi? They fit right on like they were made for the truck.

*edit* they were made by dorman.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.