Oil from 60psi to 70psi

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil pressure while running highway speeds (60 mph)has gone from 60psi to yesterday it was running at 70psi. Is this normal or should I be looking into something starting to happen? 1985 6.9 5speed.

That's with an empty bed. No load

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Is that with a cold engine? I have never seen warm temps oil pressure that high, but close on a cold engine

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What type of oil pressure gauge are you running? The factory gauge has no way to tell what the actual oil pressure is. An aftermarket electric gauge could have a sender that's acting up. Aftermarket mechanical gauges are usually pretty consistent on their reading, but I guess that they could start to read differently while starting to fail.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of oil pressure gauge are you running? The factory gauge has no way to tell what the actual oil pressure is. An aftermarket electric gauge could have a sender that's acting up. Aftermarket mechanical gauges are usually pretty consistent on their reading, but I guess that they could start to read differently while starting to fail.

Aftermarket mechanical gauge.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that with a cold engine? I have never seen warm temps oil pressure that high, but close on a cold engine

I work about 4miles from home so it never really runs very long unless I'm moving lumber and other randoms around the farm