Oil for my big cummins

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
I just found my truck, then bought it. '03 2500 HD laramie 24 valve CTD. After my wedding in a couple of weeks(when I have more time) I'll be switching to sythetic fluids throughout, starting with the engine and pigs and the rest in a short time. I'm looking at Amsoil 15w-40w synthetic marine and diesel blend, and series 2000 synthetic gear lube. What does any body out there think of this, good idea?;Sweet Also, I am partial to wix filters, should I stay with these or switch to Amsoil filters? Any help or input on this would be appreciated. :thanks:

Whit

Reaction score
What milage do you have on the truck now??? must be broke in before the motor goes synthetic, 10k hard towing miles will break er in or 20k of normal miles, I am assuming you are broke in. Synthetics will do you good, the only thing I can say about running Amsoil is to make sure you keep your oil on hand because you cant just go downtown and buy it, I run Amsoil thruout the truck except the motor I run Cummins premium blue, I used to run the marine in the motor till I got caught in Texass needing a quart and couldnt find it, my thought was the Cummins premium blue extreme can be purchased most any where.

Cheers, Kevin

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
I found the truck used, 1.5 years old (previous owner apparently died), with 24000 miles. The truck was never used for its intended purpose(condition of hitch and bed are pristine), but I will use it mainly as commuter, probably towing once or twice a month. If I do go with the Amsoil, will be sure to keep a few quarts in the truck, good use for the little well under the D.S. back seat (quad cab)

Thnx for the reply ;Sweet

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
I'd go with the Cummins Premium Blue, if I had my druthers. I run it in the Crossbreed, and my old 49 Chev wrecker. We run it in the big Cats, and go 30,000 between oil changes.

It cut the oil consumption by 50% in the 49, over the Federated/Amalie fleet oil I was running.

BTW, congrats on your upsoming funeral...
errrr i mean wedding.:D

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
Just for everyones knowlege there are 2 types of Cummins premium blue

Cummins premium blue is a minerial based oil

Cummins premium blue extreem is a synthetic oil

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
what is the availability on the Cummins premium blue, and where do I get it? What are you running for filters packrat?

Whit

Reaction score
Originally posted by gotdiesel?
what is the availability on the Cummins premium blue, and where do I get it? What are you running for filters packrat?

Cummins premium blue dino or synthetic can be purchased from any Cummins dealer where you can also buy Fleetgaurd filters.

Cheers, Kevin

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
I am assuming that the Cummins premium blue is synonomous with Valvoline's product of the the same name, If so, procurement will be much easier Thanks for the help guys, I think that's the way I will go. :thumbsup:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
The Cummins(Valvoline) Premium Blue we are running is a synthetic hydro-cracked base oil. The base oil product is as clear as water, before the additve package is added. I got the big speech from the distributor who sells it to us, shortly after I started out there.

On my rigs I run either Delco, or Hastings(same plant as Baldwin).

On the company Cats we run Cat oil and fuel filters, for warranty purposes, and Donaldson on the fuel water separator. Not that there aren't other good filters, just because Cat can't balk on warranty, when you are running approved oil, through their filters. We keep Donaldson filters on hand, and ran them with success on the N-14's, until they were cycled out.

The owner/operators that buy their filters from me usually use Cat oil filters, but opt for the Donaldson fuel filters, due to cost.

Last edited:

gotdiesel?

Fine Diner
Reaction score
Okay guys, the wedding's over, so I can concentrate on the important things in life ;) My father has a small gravel pit with a couple of old cat loaders. He switched to shell Rotella T syn and said it cut his usage in half (granted, half of 1 gallon a day is still alot in the 988 but its a start) Any body had experience with this oil in the cummins and do you have anything to say about it. One reason for looking down this street is the availability(Walmart is everywhere). What do yous guys think? :thanks:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online