Oil cooler seals

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have an opinion on which oil cooler to block gaskets are better? The metal or gasket material?

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I've changed a lot of them, but I like the metal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Well crap. My mahle kit came with gasket material. I don't ever want to have to do this again. I might go get the metal ones.

Ilovelamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several. I have those on my engine right now. I think I actually only used the metal ones once. That may have not even been on an IDI. It could have been on a 7.3PSD.
I just pressed my headers back on the bundle and pinched an oring... I saw where people had put the orings in the header and where people had put them on the bundle. From my experience, putting them straight on the bundle works ... Put one on the bundle, worked great, cut the crap out of the one in the header... Oh well, hopefully I don't cut the next one. I'm also using those orings from the mahle kit instead of the Ford ones, hope that wasn't mistake

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I only bought o-rings from Ford once. Back in about 2006. That cost me A LOT of money. I think it was around $60 and I'll NEVER do that again!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My experience was the motorcraft metal ones on a powerstroke.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm really thinking that was my experience too. It's been long enough that I really can't remember. After a couple dozen oil coolers, 15+ years ago, they all kind of run together.