Oil change thoughts- Donaldson filter & synthetic for longer intervals?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to need to do an oil change soon,

I have been using the powerstroke oil filters and delo400 15w45, Now I've been reading that a lot of guys are going 9000+ miles between changes with the donaldson monster filter and 5w40 synthetic.

Here in Oregon I don't think my truck will ever see much above 100ºF, and only for about two months. The rest of the time its usually in the 40s-50s, with winter as low as 25 at worst.

I know 5w would be easier to crank, but would I be at risk for low oil pressure on cold starts? I think we can increase the pump pressure, but I don't really want to pull the oil pan to do so. If that is the case, would a 10w40 synthetic be better?

Thanks guys

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
5w-40 would be fine.
That's what all the powerstroke guys run when the temps drop.
While the elf filter is great, I would add a true bypass filter. Even if it's a Frantz.
And do oil sampling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bobistheoilguy.com shows many of these questions and answers. Good reading.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUOTE I think we can increase the pump pressure, but I don't really want to pull the oil pan to do so. If that is the case, would a 10w40 synthetic be better? QUOTE

You cannot increase the oil pressure by pulling the pan, there is no adjustment to the gear pump there. Oil pressure is controlled by the pressure regulator valve which is behind the rear oil cooler casting. Messing with that could lead to a debacle. These engines rely on volume not so much as pressure, a hot engine usually will have about 45 PSI.

Using a 5W40 oil, the viscosity increases as the oil gets hotter. In your climate 10W40 , be it Dino or Synthetic or a blend of Dino/Synthetic would be good to go. Full Synthetic oil is meant to be for higher operating temps and longer life.

I run full Synthetic in my 99 and go 10K miles on it, a filter change at 5K using the FL1995 filter.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I get $500 to drop on a bypass setup I'm going to be buying an amsoil 7.3 psd kit that also works for our engines, from past experience the amsoil bypass kits work amazing.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to need to do an oil change soon,

I have been using the powerstroke oil filters and delo400 15w45, Now I've been reading that a lot of guys are going 9000+ miles between changes with the donaldson monster filter and 5w40 synthetic.

Here in Oregon I don't think my truck will ever see much above 100ºF, and only for about two months. The rest of the time its usually in the 40s-50s, with winter as low as 25 at worst.

I know 5w would be easier to crank, but would I be at risk for low oil pressure on cold starts? I think we can increase the pump pressure, but I don't really want to pull the oil pan to do so. If that is the case, would a 10w40 synthetic be better?

Thanks guys

A lot of people run good old fashioned chevron delo for 8-10k miles including me with my 6.7 psd. I change it when the truck tells me it's due for a service which is typically around 8-9k miles.
Oil nowadays is far more impressive than what people think IMO. You don't necessarily need a synthetic to get that kind of mileage out of an oil.
5wt or 15wt would be good in your area.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is where the oil pressure control is that I mentioned before.

You must be registered for see images attach

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on the fence about extended oil changes. I realize that today's oil is much better than what we had in 198something. But Ford said 2500 miles and I have already extended that to 3500-4000. And without sending a sample out to be tested I don't think it's a good idea to go much over that.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been driving Ford Pick ups for 487 years now. Both gas and diesel and I have been changing my oil every 5,000 miles - religiously.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opps, sorry that is 48 years. I wish it was 487 years, that would be a record. :)

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run amsoil with fl1995 filter. I think it's the marine oil. I run for 8 to 10,000 miles.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter is not going to get water and fuel out of the engine oil. Both are in there in greater quantities than you think, depending on the condition of your rings. It's normal, and the only way to get it out of there is to drain it out with the oil. The longer you go, the more water and and fuel are in the oil.