Oil change intervals

rubberfish

Reaction score
15w40 every 5000kms, not sure how many miles that is, and fuel filter every second oil change

CHarlan

Reaction score
Oil Every 2000-3000 miles; fuel ~10,000 miles; Air, just whenever it gets dirty! Clean it out, and re-use it!

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delvac and Stratapore every 5k miles.

ALL of the 1 million mile Rams used OEM filters and dino oil and regular oil change intervals , even though I am a user of Royal Purple products (5600, transfer case, & both axles) I use Dino & 5k changes.

If the Cummins can go a million miles on dino + OEM filters + regular changes than I'm happy. I'm sure the synthetic oils are better and cleaner but I dont need longer engine life than what I already expect.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Change the Delo 400 and spin on filter every 4,000 miles
Change the bypass filter every 8,000 miles
Change the fuel filter every 8,000 miles
Change the transmission filter every 15,000 miles
Change the coolant bypass filter once a year

I'm a filter ******...LOL

Last edited:

Dr.EVIL

Reaction score
15W-40 Rotella & a Navistar(most of the time) or Ford filter every 3000 miles. 10W-30 Rotella for 2-3 oil changes in Dec, Jan, Feb.. And a fuel filter every 50,000-60,000 miles, and an OEM pleated paper air filter when it's dirty, about every 50,000-60,000 miles also. I take oil analysis about every 9000-12,000 miles to make sure there's no problems. It's worked well for 277,000 miles & nine years so far.

Hippie

Reaction score
For the first 50K miles on my '98 Dodge, I changed the oil every 6K miles. At 50K, I switched to Amsoil and installed a dual remote bypass filter unit. Since then, I've been changing the full flow filter every 10K miles or so, and the bypass filter every 25K miles or so, and add a quart of makeup oil for each filter. Truck's now at 180K miles, and I haven't drained the oil since 50K.

Of course, *not* draining the oil requires a leap of faith, and is not for everyone.

And, for what it's worth, the oil hoses I made from the materials Amsoil supplied are the originals and have never leaked. The bracket I made to mount the bypass unit still looks almost as good as the day I installed it.

rray32539

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes Ford's oil?

The parts monger at the dealership (who used to work at the local parts store I use) told me that Ford had a special formulation with its oil especially for the Power Stroke. I normally take him at his word as he never steered me wrong when he worked at his previous job. Is there anything special about the Motorcraft oil other than the label?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Not sure on the Motorcraft difference or not, but I do know for a fact that the Powerstroke is extremely ******* the oil due to the HUEI injection setup. The additives and anti-foam properties of the oil MUST be kept up on this engine. Basically whatever Navistar recommends (API certification) for oil will fit the bill.

By Theory, the Powerstroke shouldnt be able to get the longer oil intervals as can be done with the Cummins. Most experiences I've had or heard about, fit this theory.

However there is the oddball few that can get around it.... :D usually full sythetics, bypass filters, additive packages, and stuff like that.

Last edited:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on my 01 cummins i changed the oil every 5k with rotella 15-40 with a mopar oil filter, fuel filter every 10k, the oil looked brand new after the oil change...i cant stand black oil..skeeves me. sold that to a ******* who hasnt changed the oil in over 12k...and refuses to change the oil in it..****** me off even though its not my truck anymore, but i'm kinda attatched to it as it was my first brand new vehicle purchase and i had to sell it due to a financial downfall. my 82 suburban 6.2 n/a diesel i change oil in it every 3k, with the extran nifty fram gripper filter ;Sweet , i havent changed the fuel filter yet, it had a new one on it when i bought it 6 months ago. also using rotella 15-40.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I change the full flow filter at 7500 miles and the full flow, bypass and oil at 15k miles. Running AMSOIL 15W40.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil saves time=money

I use Amsoil too, 5w30 heavy duty diesel with Amsoil dual oil filter element, past 5 years I have changed the oil once at 45k. :love:
Now have 4k on fresh Amsoil 5w30 diesel and new bypass filters, I change the full flow every 10k and the bypass every 30k, every filter I take off I cut open for inspection and there is very little wear every time I check. I love saving MONEY! ;Sweet
I hate giving my money away for cheap oil that cant protect my engine at start up and past 5k, what a waste of my engine :puke:
only one that makes out is the shell oil company making billions extra now and not improving product.
Knowledge is power!
Javier

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I use Esso XD-3 0W-40 and a Fleetguard LF3972 filter every 7500km. $65 for oil, $12 for the filter, $20 for the drive through oil change place. I live on the road, and don't carry tools and all that with me. And I don't want to change my oil in the hotel parking lot, or on the street.

Last edited: