Off roading and camping in a diesel.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beautiful country up there... down here in FL there is good riding on the back roads, but once you hit most trails off road things get tight for large trucks..

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Hi all. New guy here. Daily driver is a '99 F250 Super duty 7.3 Powerstroke CC/SB 4x4. I know these diesel beasts are big and heavy, but do any of you actually go off-roading and/or camping with you trucks? If you avoid the tight jeep trails, these truck can wheel. I found a site called Overland Expo. People go off the beaten path to see the real America. Some travel the world. I'm preparing my truck so I can pack up the gear, and take off for a week, living out of it, and traveling on and off road to see this beautiful country. Just wondering if there are any fellow off roaders on here, or is it all racers and pullers. Kinda hoping to find some diesel owners in Indiana to wheel with. There is a really nice place in Attica called the Badlands Off-Road park.

Or you can do what I do. Buy a good used trail ready Jeep (Maybe you are more of the Bronco type.) and a solid trailer to tow it. Use your rig to comfortably get to your favorite off road destinations. Unload and Jeep in and out daily. (Or out the back side and take the highway back to camp.) Now when you have that ooohhh noooo moment your jeep has another scar (Or worse.) but your truck still looks great! You put the hard miles on the Jeep, the easy miles on your truck. Jeep goes down you have the truck, truck goes down you have the Jeep.

You can do as I do and hotel it 95% of the time and once in a while camp under the stars next to your jeep. If you prefer put a camper or tent system in/on/over your truck bed and blow off the hotel. I prefer to sleep in a bed with four walls around me so I can get a good night sleep after a long day on the trail.

Maybe toss on a trail bike/electric bike for getting around camp and a kayak or canoe to just add to the fun of your adventure! The Jeep can also hold some gear inside when towing to keep it warm and dry.

I also suggest taking tools and spare parts for your -

1) Trailer spare parts such as - Wheel bearings, hubs, seals, grease, trailer connector, wiring, tire (Or two) .....

2) Jeep spare parts such as - U-joints, hoses, belts, coolant, oil, filter, and common failure parts. And tools to do u-joints, belts, hoses, etc. while on the trail. (To save you or a fellow Jeeper!)

3) Truck - Hoses, belts, filters, ..... you know what to do here!

Sounds like a great adventure is on the horizon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online