Off roading and camping in a diesel.

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Hi all. New guy here. Daily driver is a '99 F250 Super duty 7.3 Powerstroke CC/SB 4x4. I know these diesel beasts are big and heavy, but do any of you actually go off-roading and/or camping with you trucks? If you avoid the tight jeep trails, these truck can wheel. I found a site called Overland Expo. People go off the beaten path to see the real America. Some travel the world. I'm preparing my truck so I can pack up the gear, and take off for a week, living out of it, and traveling on and off road to see this beautiful country. Just wondering if there are any fellow off roaders on here, or is it all racers and pullers. Kinda hoping to find some diesel owners in Indiana to wheel with. There is a really nice place in Attica called the Badlands Off-Road park.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am a off roader, i had my truck out a few times and it did pretty good, i have a cclb on 35s, not a powerstroke its and idi, only thing was in the thick mud it was to heavy, front end just sank, broke 3 straps trying to get me out, tried a few trucks, took a front end loader to get me out and even it had to jerk on the steel cable they had to get me out, im debating on buying a jeep or modifying a ranger i have because i do like the smaller jeep trails, seem more challenging were i have been, my truck is my daily drver so i cant get to crazy with it, i would love to do what your going to do, sounds amazing, im wanting to go to Alaska to do some wheeling out there, wish i was by you i would be more than happy to go wheeling with you but good luck and have fun on your trips, take some pics and post em, oh and welcome to the site

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Ever been up to Drummand island? I understand there are some good trails there. The photos I've seen from those who have been are amazing.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i havent yet, its in the plans though, im thinking maybe in a year or two i want to get up there, looks like a great place to go, i hope it is its still about a 6 hour drive for me to get there

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take my 89 F350 CCLB. Right now it's stock height with 40" Ground Hawgs, warn winch bumper and 12klb winch. I am hoping to do chromo axle shafts, 4" lift/level the front, and maybe run 46" military tries and lock front and rear.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ill take my 91 every once in a while but the trails I hit up most the off roaders just consider a scenic dirt road.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly a river and service road off roader. But I wouldn't have a problem just heading into the little trails if my truck fits. I'd probably build a jeep or ranger or something for the real off roading just so I can fit in more places. You are right, the diesel's are real heavy, my truck just sinks in the soft sand.

daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Ill take my 91 every once in a while but the trails I hit up most the off roaders just consider a scenic dirt road.

A scenic dirt road is cool with me. My main goal, besides the fun of offroading, is just that... to see what you can't see from the pavement.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been to badlands, haspin acres, Tellico, and rausch creek. I don't avoid jeep trails. they just make it more fun.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get mine out sometimes. My son (sometimes daughter) and I love to explore. Fire roads, Power line access routes, etc. Usually up in the Sierras. Went to the pass on Hwy 108 a few years back. Closed all winter, but when we went we got to mingle with the Marines on high altitude training (9,000+ ft). They have a training base on the east side of the sierras near the 395/108 junction. It was a lot of fun.

We went a few weeks ago to the west entrance to the Rubicon trail (Loon lake, trail is to tight for what I have:D). Then went all dirt to Soda Springs at the top of Donner Summit. Spent 16 hrs just me and my son ;Sweet;Sweet. Let him drive a bit (14yrs old). He loves the truck as much as me.

Great time. I have been doing this kind of thing off and on my whole life. If I ever get back that way, or you get out here we will see if things work out.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
are those pics all from Colorado? looks very nice,

Yep, just outside Leadville, Co, both those trails the off roaders just consider a dirt road for the most part but Im after the scenery not the trail :) (hardest parts are a couple river crossings and a steep/loose hill)

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like a good time to me, getting to a destination is my kind of wheeling, not just going through the same mud hole over and over

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88