odometer reading?

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my dodge along with some cash for this 1993 F350 4x4 7.3 N/A automatic. It runs great but I need to replace the front bearings/ball joints at some point and flush the brake lines. The odometer shows just under 70,*** miles. I don’t think it could be the actual mileage but do these reset every 100,*** miles?

You must be registered for see images attach

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, whenever I gun it from a complete stop it feels like the rear raises several inches. I know the PO recently replaced the drive shaft so could it be the wrong size or should I be worried about axle wrap or something else?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yes, 5 digit odometers roll over back to zero every 100k. A 93 still has 5 digit though?

If so, except it to be the 100ks if not 200ks, depending on how worn out it feels and how much oil it burns.

My F250 is probably in the 200ks but I could be wrong, it might be 100ks.

My RV on the other hand, I highly suspect is truly 70k. It had the original lower radiator hose and rear shocks still as of this year. The lower hose suddenly sprang a leak while I was doing vacuum system diagnostics, so I caught it immediately.

The RV's front end, including the gear box, is still pretty darn tight compared to my truck. I rebuilt the truck's whole front end a couple years ago and it's still not great due to the gear box.

Last edited:

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OBS trucks have digital odometers, so the mileage is accurate unless someone has swapped out the gauge cluster. Fun bonus fact: OBS odometers can't go above 399k, Ford didn't put the necessary LED in place for it to display the number 4 in the hundred thousand position, so after 399,999 miles it'll roll back to 300k. You can check it out for yourself, watch your odometer when you turn your key to the ON position and it displays a bunch of 0's, you'll see the blank space where the LED is supposed to be :D

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The OBS trucks have digital odometers, so the mileage is accurate unless someone has swapped out the gauge cluster. Fun bonus fact: OBS odometers can't go above 399k, Ford didn't put the necessary LED in place for it to display the number 4 in the hundred thousand position, so after 399,999 miles it'll roll back to 300k. You can check it out for yourself, watch your odometer when you turn your key to the ON position and it displays a bunch of 0's, you'll see the blank space where the LED is supposed to be :D

Toyota did worse on their early 2000s digital odometers in the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe. (A hatchback Corolla basically). They totally stop at 299,999 and stay there. Cars counting in kilometers do too. So yep, km cars stop counting after just 186,410 miles (299,999km) because Toyota wanted to save a few pennies on the software.

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the rear end raising in hard acceleration, is that normal? There is no bounce or shudder.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As far as the rear end raising in hard acceleration, is that normal? There is no bounce or shudder.
Since everyone else is having their own conversation, I'll take a stab at your question.
I wouldn't say normal. Could be axle wrap. Have a go pro you can rig up underneath to watch it while you drive?
I would check the trans mount as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If things slow down at work enough where I can get home before dark I’ll rig up my I phone. I know the PO has busted the driveshaft which is why I was wondering if it’s something I need to be concerned about.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Normally most truck don't see a lot of axle wrap. (Unless hauling a extremely heavy load, or making tons of torque)

Jimbanjer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it doesn’t have enough to to spin the wheels and I haven’t had a chance to do any towing yet. Do you think the springs could be worn?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Possibly bushings.
You could look at your springs and compare to other F350's, totally possible someone could have used a lighter spring pack or even taken springs out for a softer ride.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My RV has a broken leaf spring clip. No idea how someone managed that. I got a big sqared U bolt meant for axles, grinded it some with a dremel so it would fit around the leafs and clamped it on in place of the broken clip. You can see the remaining piece of the clip to the left of the u bolt, on the bottom leaf. Being so heavy I didn't know until I was getting tires changed and I saw it. It may not be the best repair but at least they cant separate now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online