Odd humming/groaning from ac evaporator

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have completely redone my ac system on my idi swapped '88 bronco, new compressor, condenser, evaporator, dryer, variable orfice tube and all 3 hoses. The ac cools great and everything works like it should but it randomly makes this moaning noise coming from the evaporator that I can't seem to figure out. At first I thought it was a bushing in the blower motor that had worn out so I replaced the blower motor with a new one and that didn't change a thing, it makes the noise even with the blower off. I don't know if I got a bad part somewhere or if I did something wrong but i got to figure it out and any help would be appreciated.

*Edit* so you don't have to ask the pressures on my snap on manifold gauges reads 30-35 on the low side and 175-200 on the high side. Also it was vacuumed down for over an hour before being charged and I charged it by pressures because I didn't have my refrigerant scale with me.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought too and the only reason I bought the variable tube was because I had no idea which color orfice tube went in it originally. My choices were red, blue, and variable which is black. Orfice tubes are not particularly expensive I guess I can try the red and blue ones and see what happens then. Honestly unless someone tells me different I will probably leave it be for now

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought too and the only reason I bought the variable tube was because I had no idea which color orfice tube went in it originally. My choices were red, blue, and variable which is black. Orfice tubes are not particularly expensive I guess I can try the red and blue ones and see what happens then. Honestly unless someone tells me different I will probably leave it be for now

Blue was the factory for R12. Red was factory for R134a

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue was the factory for R12. Red was factory for R134a

Wow! I did not know that was the difference, in the electronic catalog it does not differentiate other than color. I bet in the old paper catalog it would have. I have a red orfice tube that came with the compressor for my f350 I may just try it and see what happens. Thanks very much for your help

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those variable tubes are terrible! We threw a box away as they were always failing. Imo these trucks work best on r134a and the Orange tube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online