Odd hum from front end

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 95 f350 4x4 7.3 manual.
I have a weird hum sound coming from the front end. Weird part, it quiets when I slight turn the wheel to the right. It will sing when you slightly turn the wheel to the left. Once you then the wheel slight to the left it gets quiet and you really hear how loud it really is. It's VERY noticeable. I thought for sure I replaced the front wheel bearings but I am wondering if I just repacked them because they looked alright. I say this to because I think wheel bearings are the most likely culprit but I leave it to y'all.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
left wheel bearing it probably loose or worn. best to do both at the same time and be sure to follow the proper torquing sequence with all of the components put in the proper order on the spindle.

rsrace

Reaction score
Yep - sounds like a bad bearing. Be sure that the "lock washers" have good pins and they fit properly into the retaining washer. If the pins are damaged, the bearing can loosen over time and will fail prematurely. I lost a spindle by reusing a washer with a worn pin - and lucky that was all that was lost.