OBS and BODY lift ???'s

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I got me a quote on my tow....

$30.00 to tow the OBS SC truck to my place...it's a cab chassis right now...GOOD cab...bad doors...bad clip...I have those parts..interior ok...tan! YES!!!! TAN I wanted tan...

OK so I'm going to pull that OBS SC off and install the cab along with some fenders n so forth onto my reg cab frame...

I know this will take some fab work for the rear cab mounts...NO prob got it covered already!

My question is in relation to the firewall forward.

I'm installing a 3" body lift so that when I install the cab...it clears the frame kick up enough to work decent.

I'm starting with a 3" block at the fire wall and also the rad support. I'll be using outboard frame mounts for the body on the rear portion of the cab.

So I know with a 3" lift there is potential fitment issues with heads, and such my main concern is the OBS steering...can the stock steering shaft from the column to the box withstand that 3" extension...or will I have to modify two of them to make one:sly got some good quality TIG welders as friends:sly beyond anything I can do!:D

That is my ONLY concern...steering shaft...I'm on a extremely tight budget thus Borgeson or flaming river shafts at this time are NOT an option...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have

AL

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 3" body lift kit off ebay for $120 came with an extension piece that works fine. So if you're buying a kit that should work for you, if not maybe you could buy it separate.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 3" body lift kit off ebay for $120 came with an extension piece that works fine. So if you're buying a kit that should work for you, if not maybe you could buy it separate.

I neglected to add in the details...I have the blocks...I was given those...I have no steering addons...just the blocks and bolts...LOL

Thanks for bringing that up and reminding me of my absent mindedness... LOL

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do to keep the fan aligned with the radiator? The fan is going to be 3 inches lower than it should be correct?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do to keep the fan aligned with the radiator? The fan is going to be 3 inches lower than it should be correct?
That's NOT an issue....

Consider that i'm also in the middle of an electric fan shroud build right now too...I started a TECH 101 but it was lost...means starting it ALL OVER...otherwise everyone would know that part...again...

LOOK HERE http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...fan-shroud-build-TECH-101&p=702416#post702416

Thanks for reminding me of not putting this in....

NOW CAN WE STAY FOCUSED please on my STEERING ?????

STEERING is the only issue not calculated into my project...thus I need to address it...If you have done this and have some kit that had extensions...PICS would be helpfull....Just curious!

Al

Last edited:

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I havent done a 3 inch body lift on an obs but I have raised quite a few cabs in my dealership days (dont even get me started on how f(&ing stupid an idea ford pulled on that one!). I dont think that the stock shaft will allow for that, but it may. You can get a second shaft at picnpull and use the shaft to extend your existing one (cut and tack weld will be more than enough).

fwiw the borgsen you listed earlier is spendy, but an obs bronco column has a u joint in it and that may make this modification "easier"

punk

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock shaft is precariously close to falling apart with a 3-inch lift.

It is not very safe looking at 2-inches.

So far as that goes, once you get the stock shaft out in the daylight, you will wonder how it kept the truck between the ditches at normal extension.

As for the firewall clearance issue, if one has the engine out of the way, and knows where the problem is going to be, it is a small matter to relocate a bit of sheet-metal with a big hammer.

With the engine and cab in place, it is nigh impossible to access the problem area with enough leverage to do any good.

If I had the cab off the frame anyway, I would not use lift-blocks; I would relocate/extend the cab-mounts higher up on the frame.

I have had 3-inch blocks under mine.

I currently have 2-inch blocks under there now.

My plan is, when time allows, to eliminate the blocks and relocate/extend the mounts on the frame.

I have had no negative issues with the blocks in the last several years they have been under there.

Like already suggested, if I could not sponsor a proper Flaming River or Borgeson, I would find a U-joint shaft from an older application and re-work it to my needs.

Ford used this same steering gear for many many years.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once put a body lift on a ranger I had, somehow, I ended up with an extra shaft extender. I just went out to hAve a look at how it was made. I wanted to check and see if it would fit on my OBS, but it was way too small. I would have gladly given it to you, but I am sure it won't work for you.

Good luck with finding something to make it work.

Chris

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my 85 after a 3 inch body lift.

You must be registered for see images attach

Its held together for a couple years this way, only because it is jammed this way now. I've tried removing it to see whats left, but its kinda stuck there for now. Its on the list for this winter to fix properly. I'd highly recommend extending the shaft properly. But in a pinch, it will reach.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, a guy put a 3-inch under a F-150 4x4, 1980-86 vintage; and, when he backed out of the shop, a hind wheel dropped in a low spot and the frame flexed just a wee bit.

Good thing it did; as, when he then turned the steering-wheel, it was no longer connected.

The shaft had popped itself out of it's sleeve/slider.

When my truck was at 3-inches, with factory shaft, there was less than 1/4-inch engagement. :)

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say obs I assume you mean 92-96 cab? The body lift for that body style has a spacer that bolts in inside the cab, as the steering shaft goes through the firewall and you only have to extend the length of the bottom of the column, which ends underneath your dashboard. Unlike the 80-86 that is pictured above, which the column itself goes through the firewall. I can't remember off hand which style the 87-91 trucks have, but I feel like those columns also extend through the firewall - if that's the case, I would use all of the steering components from the box up off of the obs truck and put the aluminum spacer on the end of the column in the cab.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I never thought of the spacer fitting there. When I get back home tomorrow, I will take a minute and check to see if the one I have will fit there. If it does, I will be happy to get it to you somehow.

Chris

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm swapping OFF the Brick nose with the LONG column which indeed goes through the firewall and is offset to the left and crooked..that's one reason I don't like that style...off centre wheel..hate that..but lived with it.

I AM INSTALLING an 92-97 OBS SC which is where I have 0 experience...all Brick nose for me and Bull nose baby! I'm good on those two..and know ***** on the OBS...

This is why I'm seeking help I know what to do for 80-91 but 92-97 I need seek advice from others more knowledgeable...

What I have is a complete set of 10 lift blocks...3" tall, I have to get bolts, and such...don't worry I'll handle that part fine! There is no kit, these where handed to me...free gratis! I can purchase some fine ass Grade 8 bolts washers and nuts for my needs.

There is also a complete polyurethane body mount kit for a Bronco which will be utilized for my mounts when I do this swap...with the lift blocks...

If anyone has a picture of this steering extension for the OBS I'd be happy to view it.

Hmmmm. I never thought of the spacer fitting there. When I get back home tomorrow, I will take a minute and check to see if the one I have will fit there. If it does, I will be happy to get it to you somehow.

Chris

That would be great if you could do that thanks so much.

Al

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked that extension I have....I think it will work for you!

Here is the difference. This extension has holes that go straight through the middle of the shafts. Our trucks have bolts off to the one side that compress the joint into working.
The extension is just a little larger than the u-joint under the dash, so you would have to drill out the shafts for the extension to bolt straight through the middle, and you would have to file the extension down just a little to make the u-joint slip up on it.

I would do it on my truck...and it's yours if you want it riot. I snapped a few pictures, but pictures under a dash are hard to see. I will post the, up later.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I checked that extension I have....I think it will work for you!

Here is the difference. This extension has holes that go straight through the middle of the shafts. Our trucks have bolts off to the one side that compress the joint into working.
The extension is just a little larger than the u-joint under the dash, so you would have to drill out the shafts for the extension to bolt straight through the middle, and you would have to file the extension down just a little to make the u-joint slip up on it.

I would do it on my truck...and it's yours if you want it riot. I snapped a few pictures, but pictures under a dash are hard to see. I will post the, up later.

I patiently await the pics....so I get an more complete idea of what you mean.

Again, I'm completely unfamiliar with these setups except...to remove the parts as a puller in a wrecker but having to do sometimes 5 or more columns in a day...they all start to look alike...and you just know what to do when you get in there. I don't really have a clue what it looks like off top of my head...LOL

And that does not come frequently at all.