Now I'm boosting!

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just doing some maintenance to the truck as it was running hot. I did a few Day radiator flush and that made a night and day difference. Now runs cool with ac on the radiator was plugged up. Anyways while I was under the hood I disconnected my wastegate actuator I have the 7.3 idi with banks sidewinder kit and ram air intake. Before at full throttle I'd get 6-7 psi now it'll jump right up to 10 and if I stay in it will hold right at 13. Truck runs so much better idk why they ever had the wastegate hooked up! Ps if anyone has a 92 gauge cluster working I desperately need one. My prom died and getting rough shifts

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your prom date died? Dang. You may be making more boost but the wastegate allows the exhaust to flow past the exhaust housing allowing the exhaust to flow much better and not get choked up in the higher rpms. Do you have head studs? I wouldn't want to push much more boost than that without doing head studs first

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My apologies I believe it's called p-rom I could be mistaken but it's the module that runs the speedo and odometer

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So with the gate closed all the time what are you seeing for exhaust temps??? Two ways to increase boost is remove the waste gate linkage or turn up the fuel. But make sure your pyro tells you what the exhaust temps are getting up to.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mines acting up in chip truck too.Has been a little bit from time to time,like last year.The needle will bounce sometimes going over bumps and now when I brake,it clicks fast.It's not messing up the trans......yet lol but I better get on it before it gets worse.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So with the gate closed all the time what are you seeing for exhaust temps??? Two ways to increase boost is remove the waste gate linkage or turn up the fuel. But make sure your pyro tells you what the exhaust temps are getting up to.

Same, I'm right at 300 unloaded at 65, full boost going uphill at 13psi I'm right at 900. Definitely think I could use a bit more fuel but I'm leaving it for now.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, so far I haven't killed mine.
I'm running a *big* 110CC IP, pushing 12-15 PSI of boost, and put down 250 at the wheels on the dyno a few months back.
This is on a stock, non-turbo block with factory turbo(wastegate unplugged; similar in size to the Sidewinder TE06H)
It hasn't blown the head gaskets yet, so... I'm pretty happy with it.

From previous experience with a Sidewinder, you can get 12-15 before it starts to choke up badly. I got 22 out of mine at one point(with the 110CC IP),and it was /not/ happy. I found that stock exhaust valve springs weren't happy with the backpressure, and it floated an exhaust valve doing that and bent the pushrod.
Also it didn't make any more HP than before, when I was only making 15 PSI - the turbo just can't flow enough to make more than about 250 at the wheels, no matter what you do to it.

Still, 250 at the wheels(over 300 at the crank) is far more than most IDIs will ever put down, so there's plenty of headroom to play with, especially with a stock IP.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that's good to hear. I definitely need to replace my injection pump soon as it hard starts when hot so maybe I'll look into an upgrade. I was thinking of simply turning up the fuel screw a bit first

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still new to this vehicle so instead of turning it a few flats just tighten it till it will no longer go in?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PSOM is all part of the instrument cluster right? I have the one out of my 94 factory turbo truck. Had to swap dashes to go to a PSD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online