Not really a build thread

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just thought that I'd post up some never been posted pictures of the Bronco conversion that I did back in '09 and '10. It started when I wrecked my first 1985 F250. I missed having the IDI (yes even a N/A 6.9) so I stated looking for another truck. In the mean time, I still had my 1993 Kawasaki ZX11 to ride and I borrowed a 1989 Nissan Ex cab, 4x2, 5 speed pickup from another guy and I ended up buying that for $500. The only thing that I miss about it is the fuel mileage. I had also been given a 1990 Reg cab F250 4x4 with a 7.3 and a ZF5 before the wreck. I wasn't having much luck with finding a replacement for the Red Wreck (not to mention that I had borrowed some money against it before the wreck and hadn't made the first payment when I wrecked it). I started wondering if I could swap the drive train into the Bronco. This was before my days on here so I wasn't sure. I measured the distance from the engine crossmember to the back of the transfer case. The ZF5 and BW 1345 were only 1" longer than the C6 and the (I don't remember what model) transfer case in the Bronco. Of course the frames were the same width. I started to consider the swap more seriously at this point. I mentioned it to several people. Most didn't know what to say, but two swore that there was no way that it could be done. After a few times of hearing that, I thought "F#%k them! I'm going to do it just to show them that it could be done!" So I started. At the time, I didn't think that the Bronco front wheel bearings could hold up to the extra weight of the 6.9, so I decided to swap in the axles from the 1990 to have the 4.10 gears. All that I got done was thee axle swap before it got too cold for me to work in my driveway (I'm a pretty big wimp when it comes to the cold). The front end was WAY out of whack due to the Bronco cross member still being in there, but I could drive it around a little bit, slowly up and down the dirt roads. I did go completely through the rear brakes and put new hub seals in before installing it. With just the F250 rear end, it had quite a rake.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Here's some of the front axle swap. I know that it wasn't the safest way to hold the front end up, but it's all that I had. The final one is how it looked that winter. It still had the 302 in it, but the battery was at the end of it's life so I had to put a charger on it for a few hours (low setting) before I could start it so that's why the extension cord is run out to the Bronco. That's enough for tonight, more pictures to come later.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the read man. Wish I could see the pictures. The sites been acting weird in the last week or two and theres alot more broken pictures.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Really? They show up just fine on my PC. In fact, I haven't had issues seeing any pictures, but I did notice a week or so back, that I couldn't log on. I could just fine a few hours later.
Enjoyed the read man. Wish I could see the pictures. The sites been acting weird in the last week or two and theres alot more broken pictures.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? They show up just fine on my PC. In fact, I haven't had issues seeing any pictures, but I did notice a week or so back, that I couldn't log on. I could just fine a few hours later.
Yea it's probably something on my end they have been changing the Tapatalk app trying to push more and more into requiring VIP payment and new releases.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That looks awesome. I wouldn’t have even considered a swap like that.
Thanks. It gets more detailed and involved in the "next" summer. I can freely admit that I may not bee able to recall all of the details due to elapsed time and the amount of consumed beers between then and 2014 when I quit drinking. Age may factor in there somewhat as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yea it's probably something on my end they have been changing the Tapatalk app trying to push more and more into requiring VIP payment and new releases.

I'm old school-a flip phone, a Kodak, and a PC. I actually had a smart phone for two weeks in 2011. I hated it and A,T,&T didn't have good service where I live so I went back to a flip phone and am happy with it.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm old school-a flip phone, a Kodak, and a PC. I actually had a smart phone for two weeks in 2011. I hated it and A,T,&T didn't have good service where I live so I went back to a flip phone and am happy with it.
Yeah, I got one of them there phart smones somewheres... I calls it that because it is one of the very first "smart phones", and it is anything but smart...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well I'll say one thing, If 'ya gonn'a bend something, bend it BIG TIME, bend it good!! Hope you weren't hurt!!!???

I've bent a couple things a little bit thru the yrs, but you the winner. LOL LOL
Thanks. I was hurt because I was thrown out, but not seriously. I landed on my left side so I couldn't raise my left arm very high for a couple of weeks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Fast forward to spring of 2010. I decided that Memorial Day weekend would be a good time to get a serious start on the Bronco. Of course those plans got changed for me. The older guy who sold me the Nissan now had a 1995 F250 PSD. The first time that I drove it, I told him that I thought it was a little doggy for a Power Stroke, but he didn't like that so he ignored it. It started to miss slightly. It wouldn't start under 40* without being plugged in. Then I started missing worse. He absolutely refused to pay someone to put it on a scanner to find out what was wrong. Instead, he called an "expert" that he knew who told him what parts to replace over the phone.cookoo So over Memorial weekend, I pulled his engine and replaced the rear main seal, thee front pump seal in the transmission, the cam position sensor, and the glow plugs. He had his truck back well before dark on Memorial Day, still running the exact same way (go figure). I got started on the Bronco the next weekend. Out came the 302, C6, and transfer case. I changed out the engine cross members (no pictures without one in place) and then I dropped in the 6.9. By this time, I had already got a diesel core support from a salvage yard so next out came the gasser core support and in went the diesel one.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Thanks. I was hurt because I was thrown out, but not seriously. I landed on my left side so I couldn't raise my left arm very high for a couple of weeks.

By what you say as well as that pic.....you were extremely lucky!! Thankfully!! & I'm glad too!! OB needs you, You lots smarter than me & I learn from folks like you!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now by this point, I had proved that it not only could be done, but was basically a bolt in since I was using all OEM parts. I was starting to get a few compliments. The two naysayers from the previous summer were practically falling over themselves giving compliments. Both of them kept asking how much longer until you're driving it? and were saying "it's almost done". I tried to explain that the big, mechanical parts were pretty much done, but you couldn't see all that was left-the fuel and electrical systems. The fuel system was almost too easy. By having a 1986 Bronco that originally had a 351W, it was still carbureted. I pulled the stock fuel lines from the Red Wreck and put them underneath the Bronco including the FSV so that the fuel gauge would work. The F250 wiring plugged right onto the Bronco sender and the F250 feed line clicked on to the Bronco sender like it was made for it. The fuel gauge had always read empty at half tank since I had owned it so I didn't worry about that. I just drove by the gauge so I'd never run out of fuel. The electrical was more difficult. I removed the complete wiring harness from the F250 and installed it in the Bronco. I did have to do a little bit of "electrical engineering" in order to be able to roll down the rear window. I installed the F250 Instrument cluster into the Bronco dash so that it looked correct. I swapped in a steering wheel from a 1989 F150 for a manual column with tilt. My goal was to make it look like it had been a Ford option. Most people thought that I'd accomplished that goal. Apparently this is where the pictures start getting thin. I haven't been able to find very many. Just a few of the in progress interior. I can't find any of the finished product. Of course, this is part of the reason that this isn't quite a build thread.