noob: best diesel for power per buck?

dieselinquiry

Reaction score
what's the best diesel that provides the "best bang for the buck" in terms of modifying it for 0-60 quarter times without paying through the nose for the truck and mods?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
dieselinquiry said:
what years and vehicles was that avaliable in?

1994 thru 1998.5 model years. Dodge Ram 2500/3500s

Best year for bombing was the 96 manual transmission application. (personal experience and known data). All 12-valve automatic transmission applications were derated in power to save the transmission.

1998 model year was split in half so to speak... 12-valve for the first half, and then the 24 valve was introduced halfway through the year.

Last edited:

t444ebandit

myth buster
Reaction score
I had a 6.0 powerstroke that ran circles around my friends 95 cummins 12valve manual. Mine had an sct 185hp chip 4" exhaust and a K&N cold air kit. My truck was a regular cag long box 4x4 auto. Sorry if my info on his truck is scetchy but this is waht I recall #8 fuel plate 80hp injectors timing is set and he has a 4" exhaust with twin 5'" stacks and a 400hp clutch intake elbow and filter. My new truck a 97 powerstroke gets it's doors blown off though.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Just look at most diesels on the drag strips that should tell you something... and the most common found is the 12v Cummins. For very little money these things can become monsters.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
wow this is an old post - I posted over 3 years ago in this one... brings back memories doesn't it.... back when i had the goat truck and was frying tires on command....

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12v cummins also came in 1989-93 dodges. They may not have the power potential of the p-pumped dodges but they can still produced a good amount of power