Non start on an 85 6.9

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Burners,

Been scratching my head at this one for about a day. All started from switching out turn signals to LED, they wouldn't turn on so put the old bulbs in.. now no go.

Truck won't turn over, I have 2 charged batteries and kinda narrowed it down to this relay.

1st video letting gp warm and try to turn over
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

2nd video under hood clicking sound at relay
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be way off track, but is it fully in park? Is there a neutral safety switch on these?
I only ask this because you also mentioned your tranny acting up. Take a look at the tranny shift cable and linkage?
And while you're under there and dirty, pull the hose off your vacuum modulator. If it leaks tranny fluid then replace the vaccum modulator. Easy/cheap job (that might fix your hard shifting).

The bulbs thing might be coincidence/irrelevant? (and I hate diagnosing electrical stuff)

Last edited:

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the bulbs are too.

Yes, BrianVT i can confirm its in park. just went back out and put it out of gear and back in to try and start. I get 1 little click

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to add,

now, no power at all. no accessories no lights radios

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 battery reads 9, second reads 11

had em charged up before this morning on a brand new battery charger and that's from trying to start x2.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with @DaveBen, your batteries sound weak. Might be because your starter is pooped. And @Brian VT is right too, about checking for tranny fluid in the vacuum line. On a gas burner it'll start smoking because the transmission fluid is running through the intake, really if you look at the vacuum pump it would have fluid on it. And tell whoever is in the beeping truck to be quiet so we can diagnose your ride.

I just noticed your "no power" message. That might be corrosion in a battery cable, causing all of the problems.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the hand holding. I'm a lost cause in electrical aspects :)

I put 2 new batteries in it and it fires right up. New vac pump and hoses just ordered, that's gonna be my first fix before messing with the vrv for the shifting issue.

Batt cables are new from LMC less than a year in. Nice set I'd recommend em.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got your start worked out. These engines/starters need good batteries.
You checked that your vacuum was low before ordering a pump? Or you just want to start fresh?

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redneckassessed that 1, it's all rusty and the patina looks like it's from 85.

gonna be a few days tho, 150 local vs 90 on rockauto

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01