Non-Hiway Fuel

nevrknow

Reaction score
I had a thought this am. ( scary I know). Isn't off-road diesel high sulfur? ( ie we can run it in our older PSD's ( pre 2007 ) without having to add an additive ( and its cheaper)? Or will it mess something up? I have no idea so I thought I'd ask someone who knows more than me.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I think the dyed stuff is at 500ppm sulphur while the standard ULSD is at 15ppm. The older PSDs are designed to run on low or ultralow sulphur fuel; the DPF equipped trucks, regardless of make, are ULSD only.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes it is cheaper and it could be better as well as long as You use it for OFF road (that is why it is cheaper) it is ok but in some places the dip Your tank like it or not and if they do find it and You are on the road then Your savings will be over ;Really.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If you get busted, it'll cost you a lot of money in fines. And nowadays municipalities are broke and are looking for any excuse to mess with you.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The ULSD used on on highway applications is 15 ppm sulfur content whereas off-road (a.k.a. red or tax-free) diesel has a sulfur content right now of 500 PPM. This will all change in 2010 when the ****** bags at the EPA will require all diesel fuel to be 15 PPM sulfur.

Sulfur is what gives diesel it's lubricating properties (called lubricity) and it's also what gives it the odor. Older engines with fuel-lubricated pumps will be hurt the most since the fuel can no longer lube the pump parts (EPA doesn't care - they think you should buy a new diesel that's compatible with their garbage.) So yes, the off-road diesel is better for your truck. But there's a downside. If you get dipped and are found running off-road diesel you will get a major fine. Usually it's on the order of a few grand fine, plus you have to drain the fuel tank and pay and a penalty of $X per gallon of fuel in the tank.

So basically if you want to risk it that's your call. Me, I just run the on-road crap and add some motor oil or, in the future, used and filtered motor and vegetable oil. This will more than offset the crap ULSD.

As a footnote, I have a farmer friend who brews his own biodiesel in his 24-valve Cummins. He told me this weekend that with straight ULSD the truck bucks and snorts and generally runs like crap. Running B80 the truck runs smooth as can be.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
My 7.3s have seen very little clear fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
around here off road has been ULSD for quite some time. its exactly the same as on road just dyed red and you dont pay road tax on it.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here. Off road is the same. they just add the dye to the same diesel and do not charge tax.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
so does off road still have the high sulfur or is it just lowsulfur now and just has dye added to it?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yes for now it's still low sulfur diesel (500 PPM sulfur content) however it's supposed to change to the ULSD (50 PPM sulfur) soon, if it hasn't changed over already.