Noisy alternator

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was working on the truck today and trying to put a bypass valve in the heater line. That failed miserably (the fittings leaked, no vice so I could only hand tighten the fittings), so I bought some new hose, put it in, and thought I was done. I fired it up to check for leaks, and that's when my alternator started making this racket

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You can hear the noise get quieter toward the end of the video. About 2 minutes after I shut the camera off the noise went away entirely and I couldn't make it come back. If that noise sounds like something other than the alternator, let me know now before I replace it tomorrow. The alternator has always sounded a bit crunchy whenever I've had the belts off, but this is the first time it's ever been louder than the engine :rotflmao

Just sharing for kicks and giggles. It's not every day you change your heater hose and have your alternator die LOL

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible the pulley got wetter than I thought, but I've gotten it wet before and never had it make that kind of noise. I just fired it back up and the screech isn't there, but there is a chirpy bird hiding somewhere near the alternator. I'm gonna drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens LOL

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No squeal today, but the chirp was still there and on the freeway the chirping got VERY loud. I put a new alternator on it today and all is well now, no more chirping or other noises. I can't believe how easy that was to do, I've never changed an alternator and it only took me an hour to do, including time spent driving to the next town over to get the parts and setting up my stand / tools / etc. :D

baja-Dean

Reaction score
I just upgraded my alternator to an early 3G 90s Taurus 130 amp alternator, had it reclocked, I notice in the video OP posted his belts must be very tight vs mine, would you say that is the tightness I should be aiming for? or would that cause bearing fatigue if you get it that tight.

Don't know if others do this but I put in a bolt and nut on the bracket just touching the bolt for locking down the alternator bolt belt tension bracket. I tighten it and use that for a leverage point and it is so simple to tighten the alternator that way.

I bought a brand new 3G one on ebay for $80.00 and took it to an alternator rebuilder and he reclocked it for me and put the v-pulley on, he had to make a shim on a lathe because the shaft size differential. Did it for cheap but I live in baja Mexico. Question, since the shaft was smaller, any word on the durability of these vs old school ones and bearing wear? Not that I put on significant milage on it. Also it also hit me reading the specs because this was a gas vehicle alternator the gearing ratios could be really off, did not see any discussion on this on any forms. I do not have an amp meter that goes that high to check, but I can see via a bluetooth voltmeter I have the charge voltage is much more stable.

here is how I hooked it up, best instructions I could find. I did not buy their system, http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30831.pdf

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually, when an alternator squeals or chirps, it won't last much longer.

Had one get chirpy and stop pushing amps on my old Chevy. Pulled it off and found about a quarter inch of play in all directions. I was shocked it lasted that long!