No wait to start light when hot

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my dually I was told by my friend in Texas that it needed new glow plugs. I told him to buy the Motorcraft ones and let me know what I owed him. I flew down, drove it back, and a couple months later I noticed they were autolite plugs. There were a couple that I thought were going to break off even after that short amount of time, they did not want to come out.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like this crimp on the plug, one round single crimp is on the fakes vs multiple crimps on the genuine plug. I also noticed the fake requires a 10mm socket vs 3/8” on the genuine.
That's very interesting, because every ZD1-A I ever purchased was 10mm. Is there a difference between ZD9 and ZD1-A when it comes to socket size? Or are all of them supposed to be imperial? I know the thread pitch for sure is metric.

I noticed my truck settled into eating glow plugs annually so I switched to autolite dual coils. They seem to work well but the factory controller (older, non-solid state style) won't even try to cycle them. I know Autolite is a dirty word and for good reason, but these these dual coil plugs seem to work well so far. They heat up in the same time as the Beru plugs did, self regulate (each tested to >1min on the bench) and I haven't had cold start issues ever since switching over a year ago. I'm not saying everyone else should switch to them, but I got fed up with expensive Beru plugs that would stop working after a few months. Even limiting glow times to 7 seconds wouldn't prevent premature failure.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running the same set of berus in mine for at least 8 years. No issues here

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt read all the posts, but if your truck is warm, you dont need the glow plugs.
i actually wire mine to the engine temp switch, so above 135*, the plugs do not glow.

the next time youre experiencing this condition, pour cool water on your injection pump.
if it fires right up, you need a new IP

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local ford dealer parts department is stating that the ZD9 plugs have been replaced by ZD29 plugs has anyone else heard this?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local ford dealer parts department is stating that the ZD9 plugs have been replaced by ZD29 plugs has anyone else heard this?

That's odd I don't know. I started looking it up and I'm seeing a couple places saying they superceded ZD-9 but they're also listing them for "1992-96, 1997-98 HD" which overlaps with the powerstroke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online