No thermostat new water pump and she's getting warm

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I had the camp trailer on its 9k all day and a bed full of **** and noticed my temp getting close to 200 without a thermostat all looks well any ideas

Ps it's a 86 f350 with a 6.9 thathas a hypermax turbo all the fluids look good it runs great pulls good just getting warmer than I thaught it should

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible that you need to put a thermostat back in. Sometimes coolant won't stay in the radiator long enough to draw the maximum amount of heat out of it if there's no thermostat.
Yep. Years ago when I was younger I removed the thermostat from a demo derby car thinking it would run cooler but it had the exact opposite effect, it actually ran hotter. The coolant flowed through too fast and wasn't able to transfer enough heat through the radiator, plus it became aerated. I've heard of using a washer in place of the thermostat to restrict the flow enough to allow heat transfer but I've never tried it. Personally I wouldn't worry about 200 under a load. That's barely sweating...I've run mine at 215-220 with heavy loads.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat runs 195 doesn't? 200 is normal. In fact the factory fan doesn't even kick in till it gets near 230F Most people do not like the factory fan because of this, but I would not worry at all until you get to 230F.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll put a thermostat in it tomorrow and take it for a hot lap I just have a 3 hr trip loaded balls out it'll be like 14k in the mountans I'm doubling up the camper and boat I really dont want to have to pull over or turnthe heater on its like 81 today and I'm sweating like I'm trying read

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The thermostat runs 195 doesn't? 200 is normal.
From what I remember reading, the thermostat starts to open around 195 and doesn't open fully until 205-210. I would agree that 200 is perfectly normal. Of course if the coolant doesn't transfer enough heat, it may hit that 230 mark fairly quickly with a big load. Still better safe than sorry.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it possibly be your timing?

Inefficient engine operation will result in more fuel energy going to heat rather than to the shaft.

Just a thought. I know you guys have beat a well worn path around this one. I just remember my old Toyota ran hot if I ran the timing too retarded.

Last edited:

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The thermostat in these engines closes off a bypass when fully open. So without a thermostat you are not getting full flow through the radiator.

Also stick with motorcraft or International thermostats only. Parts store brands will give questionable results.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Years ago when I was younger I removed the thermostat from a demo derby car

wait? You kept the radiator in the demo car?

back to the topic
200 degrees is nothing. Out here in the desert summer sun, when I'm hauling barrels, I can see 210, 215, going up decent mountain grades.

Also, if you don't have an aftermarket temp gauge, the stock guages probably arent' giving you correct results anyway.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait? You kept the radiator in the demo car?
Our rules didn't allow moving or relocating the radiator so all I could do was run a remote transmission cooler, remove the fan, and wrap the hoses with duct tape to reinforce them. I usually ran massive land barges with big block engines so they would heat up quickly.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the guys I knew just ran a closed circuit. Hose from the t-stat housing to the lower rad hose inlet. They figured the POS could last the few minutes on the grounds before overheating too much.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
195 sounds about right when the tstat opens, I run a gauge for coolant temps, 190ish when warmed up, under 215 hauling a bunch of crap.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So put anew what in and it heated up pretty fast I milkedit to camp in 90* weather and took it put after dinner and on Monday on the way home I pulled just fine climbing steep grades that arw long and didnt have an issue but itwas also 60* onthe way home