no start

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friends truck, its a 99 and he was driving it and the gauges went wonky on him and the truck shut off and wont start now. it cranks over fine with plenty of speed but just wont fire. I am having him tow it to my shop so I can scan it to check for codes. all the fuses seem to be good and the fuel pump on the back driver side of the motor is running, I have not check for fuel pressure from that yet. that could be a problem but what I am very unfamiliar with is the electronic parts on the engine.

im not sure if there are any parts to check for voltage on the injection pump or anything else that can be problematic. I know this section doesn't get much traffic but any help would be great.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with jasper. Cummins had a 3 to 4 year of running a V pump for common rail. Is she reading rpms? That year model dodge had bad pcm even cummins has there own computer. See what codes it pulls up and let us know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the picture says it all........ a ford doing what fords do, towing broken dodges. LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

back to the topic.... I do get some RPMs while cranking. the two pictures are the codes. the first pic is when I first plugged it in and the second pic is after I cleared the first set of codes and tried to start it again.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say injection pump here's the testing for it.
You must be registered for see images

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pump if I do remember right has to be timed still.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any other indications if it could be a computer problem? If it ends up being a pump is there a good and bad brand? Would it be worth an upgrade? My scanner is a new verus edge but I'm not set up with shop key yet.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the time if everything test in specs then pcm is a bad.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance theres a power adder on it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I think it has a real early banks upgrade kit. Not entirely sure what that involves on the 24v. The first owner said he used to blow off the boost tube on the intake horn so he kept an extra one on hand. The truck only has 120,000 on it but was worked hard.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Its possible it could have a tuner of some sort.
Banks ones are known to fry computers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll find out tomorrow. The first owner also said this truck had a hard time pulling his construction trailer with what he had on it. I find that hard to believe with the boost that was being made.

The other thing I noticed is the TC never goes into full lockup, the ABS and brake light come on and off. I scanned it before and the codes go all over the place, like Chang in a matter of seconds.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TC brake light has to do with the brake switch. I have ran into problem on one truck guy didn't care if it was fixed or not. He said it stays on the farm and never leave unless needs to be fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx