No start. WTH?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't driven my truck much since I got it last October. It just didn't seem to run right. But it always started.
I just put in new injectors (from one of the recommended rebuilders here) and it runs GREAT! I finally feel like I can drive it on a regular basis. I did a bunch of errands with it this morning. Ran and started great the whole time. I just think I want to turn up the idle speed a bit.

I got home and @ 1 hr. later I needed to move the truck. No start. It "caught" a couple times like it was gonna start then churn, churn churn. I ended up getting the battery low. So I brought out my charger and used the Start mode. Same thing. Churns and no start. So I put the charger on charge and left it for a couple hours.
I just went out and tried it and it started right up.
What the heck? Now I don't feel like I can drive it regularly.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Almost wonder if you have a fuel return bleeding down. My truck does that, fires up initially, but dies, then cranks a bunch, like, a LOT, before it'll finally start. That's if it sits for a few days or more. After that, fires up fine every time.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing. It's hot soaking. If I turn it off hot I have to start it in a couple minutes or it won't start for a couple hours. If I pour water over the injection pump it will start right up. I have no money for a new pump now so I have to carry water so I don't get stranded.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is doing the same thing. It's hot soaking. If I turn it off hot I have to start it in a couple minutes or it won't start for a couple hours. If I pour water over the injection pump it will start right up. I have no money for a new pump now so I have to carry water so I don't get stranded.
I really like the idea of this. There's a magnetic pickup in the distributor of the early 90s Ford's that when it's going bad you pop the cap off and shoot some compressed air in there to cool it off and she'll fire right up.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And hey, there's a check valve in the fuel pump that might be bad. Mine did that until I put a new pump on it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Almost wonder if you have a fuel return bleeding down. My truck does that, fires up initially, but dies, then cranks a bunch, like, a LOT, before it'll finally start. That's if it sits for a few days or more. After that, fires up fine every time.

Yep my RV does that if parked nose uphill to much of a degree. It did it today when I fired it up to check the trans cooler lines for leaks after flipping the cooler over the correct way.