No start driver's side glow plugs no power

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I'm sure hours of searching would have helped me a bit on this but I don't have time for all of that since this problem is on my work truck. Here's the details

2000 f350 7.3l 2wd manual trans

Woke up this morning to a crank/no start issue. The truck will turn over and shows smoke from tail pipe but won't fire. Outside temp was around 65f. Wait to start light comes on, tested glow plug solenoid and it tested good. Ohmed out the glow plug pins on the connector on valve covers and ONLY the driver's side are showing a bad reading. Passenger side was at .8 ohms, drivers side would show .2 then drop to 0. I pulled the valve cover on driver's side to visually inspect the under valve cover harness and do not see any issues with connections or the harness.

My question is: where do I go from here with troubleshooting.

I've got good battery voltage, good oil level, good fuel pressure.

Sorry for not searching and thanks in advance for any help. I usually hang out in the idi forums because I have an 86 6.9l I've been learning and those dudes are super helpful. Hopefully this forum is the same!!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are certain the harness is good, then jump the glow plug relay at the large posts for at least 30 seconds prior to cranking it over (the relay itself could be bad).

The next step would be to pull each glow plug, put it on the workbench and put 12v directly to each plug one at a time...do they all glow cherry read within 10 seconds on the entire length of the plug? I've seen glow plugs ohm out "good" only to hardly glow when 12v is applied.

Eighty_six

Reaction score
If you are certain the harness is good, then jump the glow plug relay at the large posts for at least 30 seconds prior to cranking it over (the relay itself could be bad).

The next step would be to pull each glow plug, put it on the workbench and put 12v directly to each plug one at a time...do they all glow cherry read within 10 seconds on the entire length of the plug? I've seen glow plugs ohm out "good" only to hardly glow when 12v is applied.

I ended up ohming out the glow plugs individually on the driver's side and they all tested bad. (.2 or less)going to replace the four on that side and if that solves the issue I'll do the other 4. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I will be installing the new plugs tomorrow after work and could use any other tips before then.

Thanks a million!

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up ohming out the glow plugs individually on the driver's side and they all tested bad. (.2 or less)going to replace the four on that side and if that solves the issue I'll do the other 4. Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I will be installing the new plugs tomorrow after work and could use any other tips before then.

Thanks a million!

Use only Motorcraft brand plugs. If you don't know the history of the glow plugs or relay then I would replace both and get a baseline starting point for maintenance....especially if you are in a cold climate. Go with the larger stancor relay as well.

http://www.dieselorings.com/16-009-white-rodgers-stancor-586-902-monster-glow-plug-relay.html

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Oh yes, I'm familiar with the need for motorcrafts or berus. Although I did notice the new "motorcraft" plugs I got today said beru on them. Misbranding or is beru making the plugs for motorcraft?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Eighty_six

Reaction score
I replaced the 4 glow plugs on the driver's side and she fired right up.

Now I'll do the other 4.

Any ideas on why 4 glow plugs, all on the same side of the motor, would go bad all at once? I don't need this happening again so my brain won't shut off about the "why's".

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beru, Germany is the place they are manufactured for motor craft, and likely someone replaced the passenger bank that is still good and left the drivers side

Eighty_six

Reaction score
Beru, Germany is the place they are manufactured for motor craft, and likely someone replaced the passenger bank that is still good and left the drivers side
That's possible. The passenger side is a ***** to get to though. I wonder why anyone would replace the hard side and neglect the easy side? I just hope there's nothing else wrong that's going to cause them to burn out again prematurely.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the 4 glow plugs on the driver's side and she fired right up.

Now I'll do the other 4.

Any ideas on why 4 glow plugs, all on the same side of the motor, would go bad all at once? I don't need this happening again so my brain won't shut off about the "why's".

That's possible. The passenger side is a ***** to get to though. I wonder why anyone would replace the hard side and neglect the easy side? I just hope there's nothing else wrong that's going to cause them to burn out again prematurely.

I'd bet the other side is bad (or weak) as well.

With all 8 changed you'll have a baseline.

Looking at my records I've changed the glow plugs twice on my 97 PSD (203k miles) and three times on my 99 PSD (253k miles).

Grab the larger relay and have with good batteries and a good starter never have cold start issues again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online