NO REVERSE?!?

James Gourley

Reaction score
Okay so I recently acquired an 84 F250 xlt 6.9 IDI for 500$. When I got it it needed a new vacuum modulator and that was it, drove it home and it drove smooth. A friend of mine drove it and tried power braking it (don't ask me why lol). Came back and parked it but said there was a little smoke that came up between the bed and back of the cab? When i went to leave i had no reverse? Now I've checked my linkage, dropped the trans pan, pulled off the throttle body and even cleaned the it. I had to of pulled it off probably 8 times by now and don't see anything wrong. When you shift into reverse it acts like its locked up and it goes nowhere. One time it even started going forward then just stopped on a dime. Now its back to going nowhere. I don't know what it'd be can someone help me out here?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my e4od gifted me with a few extra neutrals due to overheating (and if a power brake is another way of saying brake stand, that'll heat it up for sure :/ ) one of the first signs was puking out some fluid when the front pump gave up. They puke out what appears to be near the converter but there's a weep area, some have a line there some have a hose, some just vomit

Eventually first and reverse became extra neutrals and I kind of had enough of a second gear to roll closer to my trailer to tow it home.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a C6 tranny & like 79jasper stated, time for a rebuild. Maybe new TC also. Probably never had work done on it over the years.
Keep your friends out of the driver's seat or repairs may be more expensive & frequent.

James Gourley

Reaction score
Well i was hoping you guys weren't going to say rebuild lol. I found another truck for a decent price so im gunna swap the trans out, not sure about the motor yet.
What i meant by power braking was he was trying to roast the tires off and obviously it didn't work out. But anyway, thanks again guys i appreciate the answers!