No oil pressure, round two

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, follow up to my other post a few weeks ago. Finally got time to drop the pan and check the pump. Oil pump is perfectly fine. Even took it apart to look at the gears, not a single mark on them. Now in the pan I found these plastic pieces. Hard plastic, they have a radius to them the same as the quarter. I compared them to a new exhaust valve seal, no match. What else could they be from? I had the pan off this engine 4 weeks ago. Nothing was in it. I feel these are related to my no oil pressure issue. On the larg piece I can see ribs on the inside edge of it.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like bits & pieces to that plastic insert that joins the CDR valve tube to the valley pan grommet IMO.
Could be wrong :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
my guess is this has something to do with a past fuel pump coming apart. Or this was FOD from someone building this engine before you got it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking maybe your bypass is wedged open? Have you pulled the valve covers?if it’s not cdr related, I can’t think of anything else unless something literally got dropped in through the oil fill. I’ve never had a mechanical fuel pump apart. Anything plastic in it?

To get there it pretty much either had to start in the engine, get dropped in the oil fill. Dropped in the cdr hole or come from the fuel pump. Too big to come through the dipstick. Any other orifices to the oil you can think of?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
I had it apart 4 weeks ago before I installed this engine. Resealed everything. Nothing was in the pan. We did swap oil coolers with a known good one, no change.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Finally got time to drop the pan and check the pump. Oil pump is perfectly fine. Even took it apart to look at the gears, not a single mark on them.

Grab the input drive gear in one hand, and the internal pump gear in the other, and see if they move on the shaft at all.
You shouldn't be able to move them at all by hand twisting opposite directions.
If you got a tiny one of those pieces into your pump just right, it could have jammed the internals of the pump, and made the shaft spin inside the gear.

I'm still betting it's the pump.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok let me rephrase it. I swapped the pump. I took the old pump completely apart. Locked gear in vice and with a large pipe wrench, tried to turn it. Nothing wrong with the pump, not even a single score mark on the gears

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Those pieces must be blocking the flow in your primary oil passages, that's all I can think of.
I wonder if you could go from the pump mounting and check with a borescope........

If it's limiting flow directly after the pump, you won't flow enough oil to build pressure, even though your pump is working.

UNLESS: could those pieces have somehow been able to cover enough of the pickup screen to keep you from getting enough oil? I don't see how myself......

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
It wasn't there 4 weeks ago when I resealed the pan. And it isn't threaded, I looked close at that part. Its ribbed

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok let me rephrase it. I swapped the pump. I took the old pump completely apart. Locked gear in vice and with a large pipe wrench, tried to turn it. Nothing wrong with the pump, not even a single score mark on the gears
Did the new oil pump fix the issue, or are you still without oil pressure?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Any chance at all in the world that those fragments aren't plastic? Maybe light a piece of it up with a torch and see what happens?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88