No ignition or trunk keys

DesertRat

Reaction score
Howdy y'all, I have a 1982 300SD Turbo Diesel but the keys were lost:frustrate. Several Locksmiths don't touch these anymore and the local MB dealer told me they don't make the keys anymore (even with the VIN and title information). The steering is locked so I can't move it into the garage that would require two left turns, and I can't bring the wifes car in the yard and she's pissed! I'd appreciate any advise that could possibly save my marriage:idiot:. Thanks. (In Tucson, AZ).

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could turn it by tapping a flat head screw driver into the lock cylinder and forcefully hammering it into place, breaks all the pins. The you can just turn it and your good to go. You'd need a lock cylinder and key of course, might as well change out all your locks at same time. Probably cost you $100-150. You could also unbolt the ignition switch and start it from there. That's what I've done.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer in Nashville just ordered keys for me for my 1984 the other day. Try a different dealer. You need the vin and you have to appear in person at the dealer with proof of ownership. The keys are made elsewhere and shipped to the dealer so it does take several days.

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
You should be able to get keys from the dealer. If for some reason you cannot, I once saw a video on drilling out the cylinder. You can then install a new one with a matching key.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mercedes classic center in california does nothing but provide parts and assistance to owners of older mercedes. Reach out to them directly if dealers continue to give flack.
Those guys had a clutch disc built for me in Germany and delivered to my door a couple years ago. I just had to give them the VIN......and the money.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Howdy y'all, I have a 1982 300SD Turbo Diesel but the keys were lost:frustrate. Several Locksmiths don't touch these anymore and the local MB dealer told me they don't make the keys anymore (even with the VIN and title information). The steering is locked so I can't move it into the garage that would require two left turns, and I can't bring the wifes car in the yard and she's pissed! I'd appreciate any advise that could possibly save my marriage:idiot:. Thanks. (In Tucson, AZ).
:yell:I managed to get a key ordered from MB of Tucson with a title and ID. I'm thankful. I can pick it up Friday.:thumbsup: