No Go, Lots of smoke!!!

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
I have a 02 c3500 LB7, with 5" turbo back mbrp, Edge box unit.

When I realy lay into the throttle it starts out fine then once it is in third or second gear around 2300 rpm's it feels like it is loosing power and won't build anymore rpm's and it wont shift and it starts to smoke bad, and egt. gets hot. I'm not sure what to do. Help please..... Maybe injectors.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your intercooler hoses / boots, check the intercooler for leaks too....Had one blow a hole in it on a Detroit 60 series diesel and it gave me the no power with a huge amount of smoke symptoms. Can't help you much more than that on the Chevy

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
Ya air filter is new. It produces plenty of boost..... 1st and 2nd gear pull hard like they should, and third pulls hard untill 2300 rpm. then it like hits a wall. The trans. isn't slipping. It just seems like it's starving for fuel, but it smokes like crazy.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's blowing black smoke it's getting plenty of fuel but not enough air, if it's blowing light grey/white smoke it's getting air but not fuel.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
You aren't getting enough air, may not be able to stock. Stock wastegate opens at about 25 psi, not recommended that you plug it off. The edge box apparently won't read above 25.6 or 26.7 depending on make or model (or something). Maybe get a gage. You can make a deal that will bleed off the boost that the wastegate sees, you put it in the signal line. The more boost you bleed off, the later the WG opens. Stock turbo supposedly should be kept below 30-32 psi.
James

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
I'm building the same amount of boost that the truck was always able to produce. It is a california truck. I'm wondering if it has somthing to do with the emmisions equipment.

ynotracing2221

Reaction score
Got it fixed!!!! I must have gotten some bad diesel. I changed my fuel filter aprox. 5000 miles on it. I'm glad it wasn't one of the pumps!!!