no fuel where to start looking?

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big tool truck is down and the crew is waiting on tools help please. I am at the shop so I hope you see this as an emergency. really need to get the job asap. where do I start looking ? the fuel filter is black and I will change asap but I dont thin that would keep it from starting.
I'll try this again in my haste and rush I kind of left things skimpy, so I'll try to explain better what I have and what it's doing. It's 1994 and a half Ford super duty 7.3 turbocharged diesel the power stroke has been running great for a couple years I haven't done anything but change the oil and I don't run too many miles. But I went out this morning to start it and it would just crank no start crank fast seemed normal, has got too good batteries. The tack was jumping up the glow plugs are working I pulled the fuel filter and the filter was black, so I put a new fuel filter in it filled it as full of fuel as I could at the filter, still no start. If I give it a shot of starting fluid it'll fire right up but there is no smoke to be seen at the exhaust where would you suggest I go from here.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it does appear that the lift pump is working, it fills the filter.
the truck is 1994 7.3 powerstroke.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay fortunately I have a donor truck that's got several good parts yet I swapped out the injection control module and that didn't seem to make any difference I don't think it's the cam sensor because the tack moves when i crank it. The ICP sensor I should be able to unhook in the truck still run.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got the IPR out and the o rings look to be a good shape. As you can see in the pictures.
Here's a question for you how much oil should have come out when I took the IPR out.
Funny things the oil level was high when I checked it maybe a quart over. But when I pulled the IPR there was very little came out maybe a clue there.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no oil coming out the injectors! does this mean the high pressure oil pump quit? there is oil in the HPOP.

Last edited:

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok today I will get some stuff together an find out some pressures, engine oil , hpop, fuel, I really need to get this truck going for tomorrow any advice would be vary welcome.

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Black stuff in the fuel filter could be residue from the o-rings on and in the fuel injectors. While this is indicative that the fuel injector o-rings may need replacing, it is usually not a show stopper. i.e. the engine will start running like crap, but still run.

The IPR needs to be connected.

You can try disconnecting the CPS on the driver's side. See if there is oil in the connector. If there is, this could be the problem. Try starting it with the CPS disconnected. The ECM needs to see 500 psi before it will fire the injectors. If the ECM doesn't see a CPS signal, it will default to 500 and fire the injectors.

If it still doesn't start, try to find another IDM to test with.

Good luck.

Last edited:

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black stuff in the fuel filter could be residue from the o-rings on and in the fuel injectors. While this is indicative that the fuel injector o-rings may need replacing, it is usually not a show stopper. i.e. the engine will start running like crap, but still run.

The ICP needs to be connected.

You can try disconnecting the CPS on the driver's side. See if there is oil in the connector. If there is, this could be the problem. Try starting it with the CPS disconnected. The ECM needs to see 500 psi before it will fire the injectors. If the ECM does see a CPS signal, it will default to 500 and fire the injectors.

If it still doesn't start, try to find another IDM to test with.

Good luck.
o rings were changed 2 years ago
I have tried un pluging the ICP.
I test the oil rail pressure and am only getting 200 psi.
the fuel looks normal just the filter was black.

thanks for the advice any thing else would be great.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things you might consider: Its a little colder than it’s been in most places for the last few weeks, and your starting fluid start suggests you might just have a glow plug issue. Have you tried plugging in the heater for a few hours and trying to start it?
Did you disconnect the glow plug relay when you used starting fluid? Use at your own risk, I don’t do it ever, but I can appreciate that desperate times call for desperate actions.

Lastly: Have you checked for any codes? I would get a wireless OBD connector and use Forescan to buzz test and or monitor other sensors while cranking.

Good luck

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things you might consider: Its a little colder than it’s been in most places for the last few weeks, and your starting fluid start suggests you might just have a glow plug issue. Have you tried plugging in the heater for a few hours and trying to start it?
Did you disconnect the glow plug relay when you used starting fluid? Use at your own risk, I don’t do it ever, but I can appreciate that desperate times call for desperate actions.

Lastly: Have you checked for any codes? I would get a wireless OBD connector and use Forescan to buzz test and or monitor other sensors while cranking.

Good luck
It never started it just burned up the starter fluid.
I did use the block heater didn't make any difference.
and I have been looking at scanners. do you recommend a certain model Forescan?
and now new information is rail pressure for hpop engine cranking 220LB I think it is 1500 to get injectors to open.
Thanks you the help

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
In my earlier post I said "The ICP needs to be connected." I meant the IPR.
I have edited it and corrected it.

ICP sensor and CPS are the same thing.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I have been looking at scanners. do you recommend a certain model Forescan?
I believe my dongle is an OBDlink MX model, it works ok but I bought it a while back. I’d get on the Forscan forums and see if there’s anything newer/better/cheaper.

trythis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about this truck I think it's fooling me I went out and cranked it and it started right up
Sit there and idle for 15 minutes about the time I got tools put away it died. Think I've got an electrical issue