Newer hydroboost on older truck swap

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody used the 1999 or newer hydroboost on the 97 and older trucks. I know the newer ones are all metric but it seems the older 450 units are impossible to find or really expensive while the newer ones are everywhere and cheaper. I don't know for sure but it should just be a matter of getting the right hydraulic adapter to go from the metric to sae and enlarging a few holes with a drill. Even if it's a more difficult swap id rather do it for the ease of finding replacements and parts. So if anyone has done the swap I would like to know the details.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the hoses are of your least concern.
the biggest issue is the mounting plate, and the pushrod from the booster to the master.

its been a while since i installed my SD hydroboost in my 63 ranchero, but i wanna sy they were all still SAE tube fittings.

got my hoses made up at napa

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mounting plate should be as simple as redrilling the holes in the proper loacation. Is the pushrod removable/ is there a way to adjust the length.​

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm working at using 80's chevy hydroboost on my dodge... like @IDIoit says... its the same challenges about the mounting plate and pushrod. Some are angled, different length rods, wrong size eyelet, etc.

EDIT: I'm resorting to cut/weld on the pushrod.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: I'm resorting to cut/weld on the pushrod.

the one from the booster to the pedal is eazy peazy with a little fab..
im talking about the pin from the hydroboost to the master

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The new ford/motorcraft ones come with the intermediate rod. Otherwise I get used ones paired with a master attached, so it's included.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new ford/motorcraft ones come with the intermediate rod. Otherwise I get used ones paired with a master attached, so it's included.
everytime ive bought a remanned unit, its never came with that intermediate rod....
ive bought several over the past few years....

OBS and SD alike :dunno

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Right.... I think I knew that about remans and don't buy them

Daddyoh

Reaction score
Anybody used the 1999 or newer hydroboost on the 97 and older trucks. I know the newer ones are all metric but it seems the older 450 units are impossible to find or really expensive while the newer ones are everywhere and cheaper. I don't know for sure but it should just be a matter of getting the right hydraulic adapter to go from the metric to sae and enlarging a few holes with a drill. Even if it's a more difficult swap id rather do it for the ease of finding replacements and parts. So if anyone has done the swap I would like to know the details.

The issue will be the length of the shaft on the Hydro-boost. They are not adjustable nor removeable for safety. I'm sure you can remove it but at your own risk. Rock Auto has hydro-boost check them out. Don't sacrifice safety on your brakes... So your wanting to install a newer hydro-boost on an older truck.
So you want to upgrade to a newer year hydro-boost. The main issue will be the rod length other than that it should be easy.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue will be the length of the shaft on the Hydro-boost. They are not adjustable nor removeable for safety. I'm sure you can remove it but at your own risk. Rock Auto has hydro-boost check them out. Don't sacrifice safety on your brakes... So your wanting to install a newer hydro-boost on an older truck.
So you want to upgrade to a newer year hydro-boost. The main issue will be the rod length other than that it should be easy.
with a lathe, its completely adjustable ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01