Newbie to camper towing

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the 15300 curt hitch. Had to trim a 1/4 of the step bumper off we're the original ball was for it to fit. I picked up that reese weight distribution and sway bar. Setup off craigslist. So I have to mount that up tonite and finish the mirrors bolts that I broke trying to get them into tow mode. For that long of a trip what do you recommend for prep on the truck? I just ordered the throttle positioning sensor( don't know if that has been replaced) on the truck. Thinking on doing the upper and lower hoses. Even though I replaced coolant last year. Or I'm I over thinking it.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got another ? So I have a truck topper on the truck now would I want to leave it for less wind drag on the travel trailer or take it off and save a few lbs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got another ? So I have a truck topper on the truck now would I want to leave it for less wind drag on the travel trailer or take it off and save a few lbs.
I presume you're talking a campershell? I keep mime on so the airflow has something to go around and I can keep cargo or repair gear and parts in the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P1040507.JPG
    P1040507.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 10

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with the 15300 curt hitch. Had to trim a 1/4 of the step bumper off we're the original ball was for it to fit. I picked up that reese weight distribution and sway bar. Setup off craigslist. So I have to mount that up tonite and finish the mirrors bolts that I broke trying to get them into tow mode. For that long of a trip what do you recommend for prep on the truck? I just ordered the throttle positioning sensor( don't know if that has been replaced) on the truck. Thinking on doing the upper and lower hoses. Even though I replaced coolant last year. Or I'm I over thinking it.
truck prep deserves another thread. I can go on for hours on the crap I carry on my kali to TX commute. What you doing is a good start. Do you have a good air compressor? i have a tool suggestion for you to make bleeding out the air on these trucks so much easier.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck prep deserves another thread. I can go on for hours on the crap I carry on my kali to TX commute. What you doing is a good start. Do you have a good air compressor? i have a tool suggestion for you to make bleeding out the air on these trucks so much easier.
Bleeding air out???? And yes I have a good compressor.. please tell... info

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest you put up a truck prep thread in towing''' this way everyone setting up a tow-pig ( no relation to towkitty) can fine it easy.
The primer will be worth it!
You must be registered for see images attach

My towpig

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into this beauty: https://genyhitch.com/store/106

You must be registered for see images attach

$ well spent. I don't get bounced around anymore and sway hasn't been an issue...even towing a CCLB on a 3500 lb car hauler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88