Newbie to camper towing

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Here is my ? I have a 93 ford f250 non turbo 4x4 with the e40d trans. I know when towing not to have the o.d. engaged. Now I plan on taking a family trip in July towing a 29ft travel trailer. With a unloaded weight of 4500lbs. On interstate speeds of 70+ can you engaged the o.d.? Or always run it disengaged. The last time I towed the father in laws boat at 55-60 mph I left it disengaged. So let me know what's the best. Thanks Joe

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats all i use, no bumper hitches for me!

in my PSD, if i have the trailer on and loaded i will engage OD on flat land, if i do any kind of climbing or hard acceleration, i turn OD off.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have towed a U-Haul car carrier with a smallish SUV on it from Mojave CA to San Jose, towing with my '92 CCLB with E4OD, non-aspirated 7.3. It was mostly flat, coming up I-5, with only a few hills at either end. I had no issues towing in OD. My truck has 4.10 gears, which helped. I also have temp gauges for the engine and the transmission. Those temp gauges are a "must" when towing, IMHO.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Here is my ? I have a 93 ford f250 non turbo 4x4 with the e40d trans. I know when towing not to have the o.d. engaged. Now I plan on taking a family trip in July towing a 29ft travel trailer. With a unloaded weight of 4500lbs. On interstate speeds of 70+ can you engaged the o.d.? Or always run it disengaged. The last time I towed the father in laws boat at 55-60 mph I left it disengaged. So let me know what's the best. Thanks Joe

you wont hurt a thing keeping the trans in OD and just drive like you normally do.you wont hurt a thing.the only thing you need to do,is turn OD off if you feel it start to hunt between 3/od........which with the diesel (and a correctly set fipl/tps for idi engines) it wont.
put 'er in D and feed her the oil.;Really

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gandalf
How DO you tow without aspiration:D?
You mean ....Naturally aspirated ' non turbo.
Sorry frisky this am.

Op ...just remember to factor in the braking.
+1 on all the above advice.

gandalf

Reaction score
Gandalf
How DO you tow without aspiration:D?
You mean ....Naturally aspirated ' non turbo.
Sorry frisky this am.

It's a special skill, available only to the older true believers.cookoo You wouldn't understand.;Really And it works only on early morning posting.:D

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre caffein injected operator syndrome?!
Been here sold the shirt!

Quote Fox Mulder
I Believe!

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool stuff. I do have egt and trans. Temp installed. Ok so 55-60 and up engaged. Thanks again for the info any other stuff I should do for prep.. ??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the faster you go, the higher potential for bad things to happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI
two factors that put him on his side.
one. speed.
two. croswinds.
if I have a sketchy load, I'll tape a piece of yarn to a part of the hood I can see. if that yarn is not fluttering in my direction of travel, I drop my speed immeadiately.
also, a load distributing hitch is nice and so is sway control.
if nothing else, both will buy you time to get things under control and that is priceless.
for 20 years I cleaned up after people's disasters. not all of them made it through to tell about it.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they recommended a sway bar with the camper. Does anyone have a part number for the drop hitch. I looked at curt hitches and I doesn't show. But Amazon shows the 15300 curt hitch fitting The 93 ford f250 4x4

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they recommended a sway bar with the camper. Does anyone have a part number for the drop hitch. I looked at curt hitches and I doesn't show. But Amazon shows the 15300 curt hitch fitting The 93 ford f250 4x4
i bought mime from Amazon too. their computer ****** up though and priced it at $38.77 shipped. I bought two just for the hell of it. two weeks later, it was at my door:D. sold the second one to a buddy at the same price, so he can vouch for the deal :D

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought mime from Amazon too. their computer ****** up though and priced it at $38.77 shipped. I bought two just for the hell of it. two weeks later, it was at my door:D. sold the second one to a buddy at the same price, so he can vouch for the deal :D
Do you happen to have a part number for the drop hitch? I just hope this one is correct.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean receiver class 5
I have the same one towcat has... Brb
Try curt 15300
73-97 obs
17k weight dist. 16 straight. 2400 tongue