New water pump/Happy Thanksgiving!

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a temp gun and it says 199 below the driver side valve cover but only 150 just below the tstat housing. It would have to hit 195 at the tstat to open right?

You must be registered for see images attach

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some hilarious tube rigging she opened up at 215 degrees! Saw the gauge drop all the way down to 180 it was the best thing ever

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn @Philip1 I think I’m going to have to grab one of those in the future! And thanks for all the help gents along the way. Hopefully one day I will be able to return the favor to another

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The way I used to burp the cooling system was to use an old radiator cap. I cut out a large part (maybe 1/3) of the rubber that sealed against the bottom of the radiator neck. I kept the top seal intact. This way, the coolant that got pushed out would go into the overflow and get sucked back in when the air came out. I always run the engine until the upper radiator hose is hot. I don't pay a lot of attention to the temp gauge because it will usually read hotter than normal until the thermostat opens. Stu Bailey, 215* is not hot for these engines either. You can easily drive for hours with the temp gauge reading 215* and not get any engine damage. These engines are actually A LOT tougher than people tend to give them credit for.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to say that I am starting to believe they are. I came across zip ties and bias plies YouTube channel along all my frantic search for help and damn he beats the hell out of slave lake (7.3 idi) and it still turns over for him. I’m a fairly new mechanic and diesel owner so I’m learning as I go but I really like the simplicity of these engines. I tend to over complicate things, and I just need to realize that going into a troubleshoot. I had gotten used to never seeing my truck over 200 with the old water pump and when it hit 200 with the flowkooler I thought it was bad news. Still baffles me how the old pump kept the truck cooler??

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you changed your t-stat how was the check-ball in the housing? Sounds like that passage is all clogged up, the whole point of it is to keep this process from taking so long.

As for a different water pump changing the engine temps... that's really odd. But 200* is normal, when driving it should be between 190* and 200* for light load, as stated there is variance in each part and also in the instruments taking the reading.

Glad you got it worked out!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn @The_Josh_Bear your profile pic is an inspiration! You got the camper and the toy hauler ready to go!
Oh man I wish! That be a cargo trailer I have outfitted to haul a full kettle corn setup as side work. Also the sole reason for the camper, until last year when we finally used the camper for *gasp!* camping!

That business is why I got an F250 in the first place, my manual F150 wasn't rated for that trailer weight, and I couldn't haul pallets of popcorn bags in the bed safely.

Now we live in a house heated with wood pellets so more pallets of that, my pickup has really been a blessing for 13 years.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh lord have mercy! Haha well shoot man, that all still sounds like some good times and different adventures. I’m glad the ol Ferd has served you and the family well! Happy you actually got to use that camper for some backwoods fun too!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man I wish! That be a cargo trailer I have outfitted to haul a full kettle corn setup as side work. Also the sole reason for the camper, until last year when we finally used the camper for *gasp!* camping!

That business is why I got an F250 in the first place, my manual F150 wasn't rated for that trailer weight, and I couldn't haul pallets of popcorn bags in the bed safely.

Now we live in a house heated with wood pellets so more pallets of that, my pickup has really been a blessing for 13 years.
I love kettle corn!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01