New Truck

skirk55

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my 2005 F350 Diesel. The truck is the best I have ever owned but the motor is killing me. I am looking to purchase a 2011 Dodge 3500. Can anyone please tell me is the auto trans is as good as a stick shift?

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont really know but i would run not walk away from that 6.0L. Check out http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/ there is alot more info on these 2010 and 2011 Cummins trucks and trannys mines an 02 its a 6spd so im not much help lol, and as you can see there is not alot of people on here with them.

-Jordan-

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Past history with the auto's that dodge produces leaves a lot to be desired. In that the older diesels they've had tons of problems with them (automatics) but I've been told that the newer ones don't have much problems anymore. If it were me I would shy away from the auto and go with a manual but that's just because of the track record that dodge has with autos. As mentioned though I would check out cummins forum and Turbo Diesel Register for more info on the newer dodge trannies.

skirk55

Reaction score
The new trans is much better but there are still people that have issues. I am just discussed with the motor with Ford that is why I was looking at Dodge. The truck is a very good truck and my trans went out under warranty at 35,000 miles but that was a snap ring came off and went through the system. Then three power steering pumps in one month. Then the intake manifold pipe blew off. This almost gave me a heart attack and it put a ding in my hood. I still like the way the truck pulls my 5 th wheel. I just do not know what to do keep it or buy a new truck with new problems!!!!

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha ha well if it was me i would get rid of it, the old 7.3 powerstrokes and idi's were good but ever since they went to the 6.0 and then the 6.4 i wouldnt touch one, we have some at work and the Ford house has a spot with our company name on it because we have a 6.0 or 6.4 in there so much.lol Have you had any injector, egr, or headgasket issues with the 6.0 yet?

-Jordan-

skirk55

Reaction score
Now my antifreeze is spitting out of the degas bottle. EGR is dry and oil is ok. Something has happened now and I just do not know if it would be better to fix it or just dump it now.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion is the 6.0 is a good engine. Yes I do own one, so this is not an "I read or an I heard"

It is cheaper to fix the truck you like. If it is spraying from the Degas it may be a head gasket. Head Studs and a gasket kit and you are all set. This would help clear up those issues and still have a great truck. If it is paid for, even better. You may spend what is equal to a couple of new truck payments, then it is back to no truck note. I love my 6.0 and plan on keeping it for a long time.... just my opinion.

skirk55

Reaction score
Thank you Scott. I love this truck but I got a little scared when I saw the white spray under me hood! I will take it and have it gone over and then find just what is wrong. Then find how much it will cost.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome

That is the way I look at it....and I know the 6.0 has gotten a bad name..... but I have also read so much 6.0 bashing about how bad they are, be people that have not even driven one, let alone own one. I've had mine going on 4 years. It is an 03, so an early build. It is 100% stock except for the FUMOTO valve in the pan. I have changed the oil every 5k and the fuel filters every 10k. The filters have always been Motorcraft. I have the following at 107,000 miles:

Factory turbo, never been off the truck, never been cleaned.
Factory EGR valve, never been out of the intake, still plugged in and functioning as it should
8 Factory Injectors...... Valve covers have not been off the truck.

The only starting issues I've had have been battery/alternator related. Every time I put the key in, and the batteries were charged, it has started. I would not hesitate to drive my truck anywhere. It has been my DD all winter, and has sat outside, not plugged in, with the daily high in the single digits for 12+ hours. Go out, turn the key on, wait on the WTS and start the truck.

I do let it idle, but I also will drive it in a manner to clean out the soot. A couple good take-offs to exersize the EGR and the Turbo and you are all set.

I love the 6.0 and would buy another without hesitation..... If you love the truck, keep it, do the preventative things and enjoy the ride!!!!!

skirk55

Reaction score
I like my Cab with the 4 doors and room. I have an 8' bed. The truck has 3500 bucks in tires and rime. I did a leveling kit. Sometimes I am too old and tired to get up and in it! I like to watch my wife struggle getting in it. It is good exercise for her!!! I went and test drove a Dodge 3500. Nice truck but it did not feel like my old ford. I get so pissed at it then I calm down and realize Ford screwed me with the motor so get over it take it and get it repaired pay $$$$ and everything will be good after that. I will not purchase another Ford when I have to replace this truck. The truck is very good the motor stinks! I started out with a 1954 F100 and have always driven a Ford but now I lost trust in Ford.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your mechanic is not doing you any favors. You have a problem right now with an engine but not a truck, if you go with a cummins you will be trading the problems and the engine will likely be good but you will have truck problems. That said if you do go cummins my advice to you is 1 regularly change your crankcase vent filter or you will have very expensive oil leaks and 2 do not put a cold air intake on it. The cummins drop their blow by rather than eat it and cold air intakes let a lot of dirt in and it will likely ruin your engine. I'm a diesel tech and while the cummins is typically a superior engine, I have replaced far more of them than anything else simply because they get dusted when someone puts on a different air filter.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops...I'm new to this lol haven't learned to look at simple things like dates. Lol

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk