New truck 1983 6.9 IDI

Roehre008

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am new to this forum as well as the 6.9 IDI. I need y’all’s help figuring everything out about this truck. As well as first things to look into, maintenance I should do specifically for this truck etc. I want to hear it all. Been reading all I can but I’m at the point I need people to talk to. It’s a 1983 F250 with the 6.9 IDI, 117k miles, ats turbo kit but not exactly sure which one. I can’t seem to find a catch can but also could be overlooking it. Also it has a switch for a fuel pump, and when you turn it on you can hear the automatic fuel pump turning on, but you can drive it just fine without it on. It has the original, manual fuel pump but any idea what that is for? Also there’s another switch for the glow plugs, can that be rewired to anything better than the glow plugs being controlled by a manual switch? What else should I be looking for? No rust, couple surface rust spots but nothing that has started working though yet. I’ll post some pics and a short video of the engine

Attachments

• 4D417FD4-E8C4-402D-AA56-BA9C04546F47.jpeg
    4D417FD4-E8C4-402D-AA56-BA9C04546F47.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 16973C33-AB7F-4D98-A5BF-A1D55150A7CD.jpeg
    16973C33-AB7F-4D98-A5BF-A1D55150A7CD.jpeg
    705.5 KB · Views: 28
  • EF60377A-4675-4390-BCA3-A37875FFEBEE.png
    EF60377A-4675-4390-BCA3-A37875FFEBEE.png
    932.9 KB · Views: 29

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That early engine is famous for cracking around the block heater. I would not use the block heater if it has the original one on it.

The older glowplug controllers are famous for sticking on and burning out the glowplugs. The later glowplug controllers are famous for not working at all and the engine will not start. I would count my blessings that you already have the manual setup. It will always start with that.

You will have to trace out the fuel lines and see how it's hooked up. It's not a good idea to run the electric pump through the original manual pump. The manual pump diaphragm can go bad and the electric pump will fill the crankcase with diesel fuel.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
ats turbo kit but not exactly sure which one.
We should be able to tell you which turbo kit you have when we can see the video or pictures of the kit itself.
I can’t seem to find a catch can but also could be overlooking it.
Are you talking about the coolant overflow reservoir? It's usually on the driver's side, right behind that battery, and it's right there with the windshield washer fluid reservoir.
but any idea what that is for?
I don't know if anyone can tell you exactly what the e pump is for except for the installer. I have one on my Blue Truck and I have it there for emergencies only. I had the mechanical lift pump quit on me one time and was able to limp it home, to Auto Zone to pick up an other lift pump, and then on to the shop where I was working at the time. Other than that, it comes in extremely handy when changing the fuel filter. I just lube the gasket, install the new filter, and use the e pump to fill the filter. Then I turn it off as quick as I can because Franklin is right. An e pump can be damaging to your lift pump.
Also there’s another switch for the glow plugs, can that be rewired to anything better than the glow plugs being controlled by a manual switch?
I have a manual switch on my Blue Truck and I love it. I wouldn't have a 6.9 style glow plug system that doesn't use a manual control for the glow plugs. Even though it's debatable, I plan to hook up a manual glow plug control on my 1987 with the 7.3 style system too.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the cool club. I'm with those guys. Just change your fluids and filters, and start driving it. If I know old vehicles, and I do, it'll show you what's wrong and what wants attention. In my brief experience, the O rings on the injectors will be leaking in a few weeks if it's been sitting for a while, but if it's been a driver even those should be good.

Roehre008

Reaction score
Thank y’all so much! Gettin a lot off of here. So the extra fuel pump shouldn’t ever be used is what I’m taking, should I just eliminate it in the long run of things? Here’s a pic of the engine bay completely with the ats kit

Attachments

• 2DE83E90-001F-4FD7-B079-387FB5A86F66.jpeg
    2DE83E90-001F-4FD7-B079-387FB5A86F66.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 26

Roehre008

Reaction score
Also what would be the best set up with what you see in the pic for cross country driving? Fuel efficiency as well as towing a horse trailer. I’m 22 and I’ve been to every state west of Texas and started in WA. Having two horses I figured this truck would be the way to go. So here she is

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not a good idea to run the electric pump through the original manual pump. The manual pump diaphragm can go bad and the electric pump will fill the crankcase with diesel fuel.
But can you run it through for a short time to prime as in when you run out of fuel?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But can you run it through for a short time to prime as in when you run out of fuel?
Yes. You still run the risk of lift pump damage, but I feel that it's very minimal compared to using the e pump full time. See my the third part of my post #3.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also what would be the best set up with what you see in the pic for cross country driving? Fuel efficiency as well as towing a horse trailer.
You already have a turbo and that's the first step. I can't see any vacuum lines going to your injector pump so I assume that you have a four speed transmission instead of a C6 automatic. As far as I'm concerned, that's the next step. What I would do next is to install a pyrometer if you don't already have one. If you have one and it doesn't work, get it working or buy another one. Driving empty, it's not not as big of a deal (unless you have a heavy right foot), but for towing, even just two horses, it's important to keep an eye on your EGTs. EGT stands for exhaust gas temperature in case you didn't already know that. Another good thing to remember is that the gauges on our dashes are nothing more than updated idiot lights. They are only there to make the driver feel good and may not be very accurate. A good set of aftermarket gauges is a very good idea. I also recommend a vacuum gauge to keep an eye on your vacuum pump. If that goes, there goes your power brakes. If you have a vacuum gauge, you can see if your vacuum pump is starting to act differently. After those things, the upgrades start to get more expensive and are nice, but not a "have to have item". An intercooler is REALLY nice, but not needed as long as you're not towing heavier than a couple of horses. A ZF5 swap would get you better mileage on the highway. I purposely only mentioned things for your current set up, not bigger turbos and injector pumps. Those are a completely separate subject.

Roehre008

Reaction score
Awesome!! You have any preferences when it comes to gauge for these trucks, what do y’all find trustworthy? Also I don’t know if it has head studs or just the bolts, is that something I should be worried about with this turbo set up?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm running a glowshift gauge with their pillar panel, works pretty good. The closer you tap the probe to the manifolds, the more accurate