New to wastegated turbo

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a factory turbo now with 60-1 wheel and banks cold side housing. The wastegate is not hooked up and my banks intake had no port for it. Anyways how much boost should I expect from it and looking online can my wastegate open/leak when not connected to boost? I have a 90cc and stage1 injectors also.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My banks sidewinder kit I have the waste gate disconnected and I'll see 13psi at max. Also no it cannot leak. I take it you have the actuator bolted on the turbo it's just got no boost line correct? If you have no actuator then yes itlol leak exhaust pressure. You just can use steel wire to wrap the waste gate arm shut

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on fuel and timing it can be anywhere from 7 to 19. The wastegate will be pushed open by exhaust pressure, a bungee will help test. Be aware overspeeding the turbo and bad damage can occur with the wastegate bypassed.
The IC hat you got should have a port in it for a fitting

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on fuel and timing it can be anywhere from 7 to 19. The wastegate will be pushed open by exhaust pressure, a bungee will help test. Be aware overspeeding the turbo and bad damage can occur with the wastegate bypassed.
The IC hat you got should have a port in it for a fitting
I've got 15 psi from it about now, timing is at 5' as Oregon fuel injection decided that was their "ideal timing" 90cc pump+stage 1 injectors. 15 is all I want from it I just wanted to see if it was leaking before then cause after 10 boost climbs slower but I'm not used to this turbo yet performance is amazing but making sure I'm getting the best of it and not hurting anything in the process I've put a lot of money in this truck now lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bet you overlooked the pressure fitting in the hat. If the hat is the Banks type look on the passenger side for a 1/8 inch pipe plug screwed into the aluminum housing.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's typ4's hat it has a hole that I put my boost gauge in. The turbo is a banks cold side housing with 60-1 wheel mod by typ4, center and hot side are factory turbo. I haven't ran pressure to the wastegate yet but it hasn't gone over 15 yet I just haven't pushed it that hard yet. But I'm gonna hook it up this next weekend and adjust it to open at 15

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may not make it to 15 hooked up. But it sounds like it's doing well.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like you could leave it disconnected and plumb in an IC. that will lower the boost a little and make it more efficient or usable.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
what is the max PSI you can adjust the factory turbo waste gate to?

Same here with mine hooked up I hit max 7 psi, I would like to adjust to 10-12 psi.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be hooking up intercooler soon I have it but just plumbed a u back into the intake from turbo temporarily cause truck is driven Dayly. I have the intercooler and a universal piping kit waiting to find its way around the wide radiator lol I defiantly enjoy having boost before 1500rpms now though the old 088 gave me almost nothing until 2000 rpms and lots more smoke

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see 13lbs with both my trucks with wastegates hooked up.Both banks sidewinders w/ intercoolers.I guess someone adjusted the wastegates before I got 'em.Both used kits.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I know if I'm over speeding my turbo? I want it to last a while it gets loud around 15 psi I don't go past thAt. I recently hit that going onto the highway needing in front of someone almost turned 3000rpms not wot throttle though it's very seldom I need or use wot I try not to blow things up lol intercooler coming this weekend shooting for Sunday morning! First Father's Day where I'm the father this time! Daughter is 4 months old now times been flying by!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not sure about the turbo speed but I am curious on your boost numbers after the IC install.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should know tomorrow evening what the numbers will be but I'm sure I can get at least 15 out of it maybe, it will do 10 without trying before 2000 rpms. I don't even use above 2000 hardly now with this new turbo it's not even needed anymore lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online