New to the idi family

Benm2002

Reaction score
Hello, thought I would introduce myself (and truck).

I’ve been looking at picking up a diesel truck for awhile now but hadn’t pulled the trigger. At least not until my brother called and said he neighbor wanted to get ride of his truck.
So I went over to talk to his neighbor and look at it. It’s a 1991 f250 regular cab custom 4x4 manual, original owner with 37000 original miles. He recently picked up a new truck and just wanted this one gone, he insisted that he only wanted $1200 for it and the lance camper that was on it.

I replaced the batteries and fired it up, other than return lines leaking it ran awesome. I think the only major upgrade it needs/ I want to do is a turbo... but I can’t justify dropping almost 3000 on some of the kits.

Anyways, that’s my story on my new to me 7.3 idi. I’ll now be lurking in the forums reading and learning as much as I can!!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were sure at the right place at the right time.

Welcome to the group!

I believe you just got something that will outlast darned near anything made today.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you got a great deal on a clean truck. Hope it serves you well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sometimes you can find a good deal on a used turbo kit. A lot of times the turbo will need to be rebuilt so be aware of that if you purchase one.

Benm2002

Reaction score
Unfortunately if I decide not to keep it I told my brother he could have it. He didn’t want the truck, just the camper lol.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They are a very simple engine and are very reliable. It's not too hard to get much better performance out of them. Plus that will still be MUCH cheaper than buying a newer truck.

Fordman1920032003

Reaction score
You can typically pick up 1 of the 3 main turbo kits for under a grand used. As stated turbo may or may not need rebuilt. Type4 and classicdieseldesign are both able to rebuild or upgrade the turbo for a fair price. Also glow plugs (motorcraft) oilpan (rtv no gasket) oilcooler (get the gaskets from type4) return lines (return line kit from type4) or if you want some extra dress up (r&d aluminum return rails)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online