New to the Forum from Langley BC

Eric Berard

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for letting me join, I've had my 93 7.3 idi for a couple of years now, although I have managed to stop it from running, and can't get it back to running condition unfortunately. I haven't taken much time to get over to my shop and try and diagnose it. It seems like an air intrusion issue, and I'll probably have to end up replacing injectors, O-rings, and all of the fuel lines just to be sure, but that may be a while.

I've used the truck or a few camping trips, but after parking it at my shop one time, I left the key in the ignition (on position), killed the battery and fried the fuel shutoff solenoid. Purchased a used injector pump from a previously running bricknose 7.3, it works, the truck cranks, and we've even checked and seen fuel vapours.

Anyway, this is just my intro thread, I will be researching around here as much as I can, and any advice would be much appreciated hahaha, thank you for letting me join!

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Hey, another Canuck! Welcome to OilBurners. You've come to the right place for info and advice on the IDI.

Don't forget to put the particulars about you truck in your signature file, so we don't have to guess what you have. :)

And how about some pics of your truck?

rubberfish

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Eric. Sorry I can't help you out. I don't know much about the IDI's.
However, this is the largest group that knows them inside out.

Eric Berard

Reaction score
Ah yes photos would be a good idea haha, just added my truck to my signature, and rubber fish, no worries hahaha, I can do the research myself rather than doing what some consider to be the lazy thing and expecting answers posted here haha, here's a couple photos, I named him Elliott. I know it's odd to name vehicles guy names, but I figure it's like the general Lee, he's my partner, or at least he was for a while haha

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

93 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 5spd 4wd

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for letting me join, I've had my 93 7.3 idi for a couple of years now, although I have managed to stop it from running, and can't get it back to running condition unfortunately. I haven't taken much time to get over to my shop and try and diagnose it. It seems like an air intrusion issue, and I'll probably have to end up replacing injectors, O-rings, and all of the fuel lines just to be sure, but that may be a while.

I've used the truck or a few camping trips, but after parking it at my shop one time, I left the key in the ignition (on position), killed the battery and fried the fuel shutoff solenoid. Purchased a used injector pump from a previously running bricknose 7.3, it works, the truck cranks, and we've even checked and seen fuel vapours.

Anyway, this is just my intro thread, I will be researching around here as much as I can, and any advice would be much appreciated hahaha, thank you for letting me join!

Welcome to the forum :Thumbs Up

Air intrusion tends to have to be really bad to affect the output side of the IP. Its more likely a little air on the suction side of the lift pump is the culprit. (I forget where the filter is plumbed). Any fuel leak on this side is also an air entry. Causes the injection pump to lose its prime. I learned this lesson ******* my old 6.2L Suburban.

Eric Berard

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :Thumbs Up

Air intrusion tends to have to be really bad to affect the output side of the IP. Its more likely a little air on the suction side of the lift pump is the culprit. (I forget where the filter is plumbed). Any fuel leak on this side is also an air entry. Causes the injection pump to lose its prime. I learned this lesson ******* my old 6.2L Suburban.

Hey, thank you for the response! This is something I had not found in my research haha, I'll definitely give a good look around the next time I'm playing around with it

93 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 5spd 4wd

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I.p.and sticks(injectors) are good for around 1-125k...
You may have air intrusion without a wet mark telltale
Nice rig
Look up the idi tech section,